"The Athletic" launches in the UK | About to be bought by NYT for $550m (p 32)

Whilst the odd City article every couple of days is good I find it hard to read any of the articles about other top 6 teams as they are so sycophantic and contain info only really relevant to supporters of those teams.

I’d much rather read football related articles about interesting nuances in other teams, the sort of stuff you don’t find elsewhere.

As for the rafa stuff, which is interesting, most of it has been paraphrased elsewhere anyway.

Not sure I’ll renew next year at this rate.
I agree but thats kind of the crux of their business plan.

The journos they've poached were targeted because of their sources and reputations at particular clubs, and were hired so supporters of those clubs would subscribe to hear what they had to say. The journalists job is literally to only appeal to those supporters, and whilst they will try to appear balanced, there is no chance of Sam Lee criticising City in a way which would mean City fans would stop their subscription. Its the same with the Liverpool journo and their supporters etc.

So whilst its an improvement that articles are seemingly better researched and not written for click bait, its not quite balanced and objective journalism.

The Michael Cox articles have been good thus far, as he isn't reporting from a particular club point of view (although the subject of each article maybe be a particular club). I think its just a case of establishing which of the other journos are there to report from a general standpoint, rather than individually club focused.

I've probably only read one story every other day, so it wont be renewed next year unless that increases significantly.

Yes, although in recent years at the indie he's generally done Spurs, so it's a continuation with what he's been doing.
When he was at the Indie, his twitter page didn't say anything about which clubs he focussed on.
No he's not a City fan any more - he despises our owners and is on the sportswash roadshow - sharing the stage with Deranged Delaney and Red Rory - coming to a town near you very soon.

Last edited:
No he's not a City fan any more - he despises our owners and is on the sportswash roadshow - sharing the stage with Deranged Delaney and Red Rory - coming to a town near you very soon.

That's a non sequitur, as I'm sure you know.

He certainly seemed to be a City fan a few weeks ago.

That's a non sequitur, as I'm sure you know.
He certainly seemed to be a City fan a few weeks ago.
It was a correction to your reply to chesterbell's question below actually. JPB switched his allegiance to Spurs many years ago.
I suppose he has some residual affection for a City long gone.
City fan isn’t he?

Hmm got me thinking...the last time I bought a paper was the day after Milner had been sent off against West Brom when I was on holiday in Greece. Just had a look at when that was 2012.
Generally buy 5 or 6 whenever we win a trophy for the scrapbook. That's it.

EnjoyIng the articles about City and also the ones about other clubs in the main. But, by God, there are a lot of articles blowing smoke up rag arses. One of today's offerings is "The moment 'Ice Man' Lindelof tackled the doubters".

"Ice Man" ???

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.