Auto Renewal - NowTv Rip off

Its on your credit card so raise the dispute. Don't say fraud - say you were not made aware and claim you did not give consent to the payment (the small print T&C is irrelevant).

I work in a Bank and many years back worked in the world of credit card issues like this. The card provider (bank) will refund you first and then make Now TV justify there actions. While they might have a legal case the Banks hate these sorts of issues and 1 may find in your favor as they will strongly favor the card holder and 2 will at least monitor the number of these things and pull the service from Now TV if they are causing too much trouble.

If you keep the claim honest - you were not made aware and were given no prior warning - you have nothing to fear.
A few years ago my wife had to take her car back to the garage because a part they had replaced had become faulty within its warranty period. They charged her labour costs which she paid 'under duress' because she needed the car. The bank just wrote it off her credit card and didn't even try to claim it back off the garage. I guess it just isn't worth the hassle of an annoyed customer and time to go through all the arguments with the trader.

The garage lost two customers for the sake of £50, though.

I seriously doubt Now TV are going to take anyone to court for ~£100. I'd go as far as to say there is zero chance, worst case is they sell your debt to a debt managaement company assuming the bank gives you your money back. There costs would be in the £'000s just for a simple small claims as they will not do anything on the cheap. Claim your money back via the card and let Now TV argue it out with the Bank.

If that process is found against you then you suck it up.

They will put a marker on your credit rating.

Virgin did that against me in a dispute over £75.

Eventually the ombudsman ruled for me and they had to remove it, but don’t underestimate the damage a trivial debt can do to you.

I don’t see how he can claim the money back on his card. He signed a contract and signed that he had read and understood it!

In my experience with credit card companies they do everything they can to inconvenience you over a section 75 claim, to the point of lying that you have to via the retailer first.

They will put a marker on your credit rating.

Virgin did that against me in a dispute over £75.

Eventually the ombudsman ruled for me and they had to remove it, but don’t underestimate the damage a trivial debt can do to you.

I don’t see how he can claim the money back on his card. He signed a contract and signed that he had read and understood it!

In my experience with credit card companies they do everything they can to inconvenience you over a section 75 claim, to the point of lying that you have to via the retailer first.

No they can't do that. Your credit report only has details of accounts and debt levels, missed payments and overdue / outstanding debts. A claim like this will not show on your file and it cant as there is literally no category for it to show under. The money is refunded to you and you don't owe anything until they decide on the claim and they will just charge back on the card anyway. It will only show if you subsequently don't pay off the card debt.

I'm after some advice. Last season I purchased a Now TV Sky Sports for 10 months for £179, paid it it one go and got Sky Sports for 10 months. What I didn't realise is that after 10 months I went onto a contract worth onto £33.99 a month.

For one reason or another I've only just spotted that they've taken 3 lots of £33.99 off my credit card. I got on live chat to tell them I wanted it refunding, but they said it was in the T&C (it was, as I've now read them).

I kicked off and said I'll report the transactions as fraud to my bank as I didn't want them. They didn't seem arsed.

I've done some quick research and come across this on the government's website (https://www.gov.uk/guidance/unfair-terms-explained-for-businesses-full-guide)

"Terms that can be used to extend a contract beyond what your customer would normally expect may be unfair. The effect of these types of terms is to potentially tie customers into paying for something which they no longer want or need."

& this

"It is made clear to customers at the outset how their subscription or contract will be renewed and the contract requires that they are sent a reminder a reasonable time before it is due to be renewed. The reminder should include clear information about the terms of the proposed renewal of the contract and the reasonable steps customers need to take to stop the renewal, if they wish to." - On this one they never contacted me to remind me.

Anyone got any knowledge with this, that can give some input of how to best proceed. Challenge it with NowTv? Report it as fraud to the bank, or what?
I had the same, I just emailed them on there website they got back with a "we're not really arsed reply". I then sent an email back saying I find this disgusting treating a valued customer and I will take this to the ombudsman. They got back and paid 3 months subscription into my account.

Cheers for the advice. I contacted NowTV again but via the dispute section on their site for if you think you've been charged for something you shouldn't have. After a bit more research, as Gaudion M says it won't impact my credit rating. I'll see what their response is, if they don't refund it then I will contact my bank and look to chargeback.

No matter what is on the t&c's it's a shady way to do business in my view. I used them before for one off games with no problem. They e-mailed me the advertisement for the 10 month ticket and I signed up for the football season, there is no way I would have continued to knowingly pay £34 a month for the package, especially when there's wasn't even any football on. I think they knew that, which is why they never advised me at the point I was going on some full price monthly plan.

For those that say phone companies/gas companies do it. That is true but they are more transparent and upfront, and they'll normally send you an invoice each month/quarter when they take payment. Or at least e-mail to say you can view you bill online. It feels like NowTV do it on the sly hoping people won't notice and end up paying for something they no longer want. I don't think this anyway to run a business. I more than likely would have used them again this season if it wasn't to expensive, now there's no chance I'd hand over more money to them. A quick google search or look on trust pilot says I'm not the only one.

Cheers for the advice. I contacted NowTV again but via the dispute section on their site for if you think you've been charged for something you shouldn't have. After a bit more research, as Gaudion M says it won't impact my credit rating. I'll see what their response is, if they don't refund it then I will contact my bank and look to chargeback.

No matter what is on the t&c's it's a shady way to do business in my view. I used them before for one off games with no problem. They e-mailed me the advertisement for the 10 month ticket and I signed up for the football season, there is no way I would have continued to knowingly pay £34 a month for the package, especially when there's wasn't even any football on. I think they knew that, which is why they never advised me at the point I was going on some full price monthly plan.

For those that say phone companies/gas companies do it. That is true but they are more transparent and upfront, and they'll normally send you an invoice each month/quarter when they take payment. Or at least e-mail to say you can view you bill online. It feels like NowTV do it on the sly hoping people won't notice and end up paying for something they no longer want. I don't think this anyway to run a business. I more than likely would have used them again this season if it wasn't to expensive, now there's no chance I'd hand over more money to them. A quick google search or look on trust pilot says I'm not the only one.

Exactly why you should claim the charge back. Banks will not continue to allow Now TV to take card payments if they generate loads of charge backs from shady practice. They have zero tolerance on charge backs as they are generally unsecured debts when the banks are forced to refund customers.

Many years back I was involved with threatening to pull the merchant acquiring (receiving card payments) facilities from various football clubs as they were running too much debt and we were trying to get our exposure down. They all caved apart from one which went for a couple of months without a functioning ticket office until the club was sold. You will find now that various lower league clubs will not sell you a season ticket on a credit card as the Banks don't let them. Too much risk.

I'm after some advice. Last season I purchased a Now TV Sky Sports for 10 months for £179, paid it it one go and got Sky Sports for 10 months. What I didn't realise is that after 10 months I went onto a contract worth onto £33.99 a month.

For one reason or another I've only just spotted that they've taken 3 lots of £33.99 off my credit card. I got on live chat to tell them I wanted it refunding, but they said it was in the T&C (it was, as I've now read them).

I kicked off and said I'll report the transactions as fraud to my bank as I didn't want them. They didn't seem arsed.

I've done some quick research and come across this on the government's website (https://www.gov.uk/guidance/unfair-terms-explained-for-businesses-full-guide)

"Terms that can be used to extend a contract beyond what your customer would normally expect may be unfair. The effect of these types of terms is to potentially tie customers into paying for something which they no longer want or need."

& this

"It is made clear to customers at the outset how their subscription or contract will be renewed and the contract requires that they are sent a reminder a reasonable time before it is due to be renewed. The reminder should include clear information about the terms of the proposed renewal of the contract and the reasonable steps customers need to take to stop the renewal, if they wish to." - On this one they never contacted me to remind me.

Anyone got any knowledge with this, that can give some input of how to best proceed. Challenge it with NowTv? Report it as fraud to the bank, or what?
I'd brick their fucking windows to be honest with you mate.

See GPB’s post.

I have signed up to NOW tv deals before now at their discount rate.

24 hours later I cancel.

I still get the period I have agreed to with the knowledge that’s all I have signed up to.

Interesting.

I signed up to NowTV for the 10 month season pass, and I've made a note to cancel the day before it rolls over.

Are you saying I could cancel anytime and not have to worry about forgetting to cancel?

Interesting.

I signed up to NowTV for the 10 month season pass, and I've made a note to cancel the day before it rolls over.

Are you saying I could cancel anytime and not have to worry about forgetting to cancel?
Yep. You've already paid for the 10 months so you still get that if you cancel, unless they refund you for the purchase.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.