Your ten "must see" places in England..

Get yourself to the western lakes mate, a view from my old back garden, no tourists to be seen :-)
4f3e2d95bb3f7144d998fe2a2a63804f.jpg
is that tree dead? or does it block your view when the leaves come out? ;)

Agreed, it's pretty special. We are very lucky.

A nice secret is the Oregon coastline, which is nearly as spectacular, but less crowded and much cheaper to spend time on.

It is, wife and I have been down the coast many times, with and without the kids, doing both inns and camping.
brilliant, every aspect of relaxation, scenery and wildlife.
Tbf, the whole coast other than the greater L.A. area is all nice from Ocean Shores Washington (love driving on the beach!) all the way to San Diego, where we would like to retire to a portion of the year.
That or Pacific Grove California in the whole Carmel, Pebble Beach area which is also stunning.

The Newcastle ground is indeed St.James' Park but there has been constant debate whether the spelling should have an extra 's' after the apostrophe and therefore whether the pronunciation should be with a single 's' or double 's.' Older Newcastle folk tend to use the double s. There is also argument over whether there should be a full stop ("period" for Americans) after the St. You can find a detailed account of all this on wikipedia. You might also discuss whether to say NEWcastle or NewCASTLE as most locals do.
Oh, and by the pedantic way, we are Britons, not that dreadful "Brits.' Best to you anyway.
wasn't Graham Chapman King of the Britons at one time? tho apparently having a sword thrust at you by a watery tart is no basis to form a government.

We stayed just outside the village of Reeth, some good pubs there. I can't remember the name of the campsite but the views we had of Swaledale's rugged beauty were stunning. Pity about the weather though. We stayed there to fish the Swale but the wind and rain were too bad to fish when it became flooded. Half the time we were trying to keep the tent from becoming a big kite!
Only went camping away from home once, 1979 in Poole, same time as the Fastnet yacht race disaster which was off the South Coast. It pissed down a lot and the tent was constantly battered and let water in. The whole site became flooded at one point. Never been camping since, been in some shit hole B & B’s but never a tent again.

Only went camping away from home once, 1979 in Poole, same time as the Fastnet yacht race disaster which was off the South Coast. It pissed down a lot and the tent was constantly battered and let water in. The whole site became flooded at one point. Never been camping since, been in some shit hole B & B’s but never a tent again.
I get what you mean mate. We were on the Wild Duck campsight in great Yarmouth in 77 and I remember it pissing down so hard some pitches were flooded. One family came back to find their tent 6" under water. My mum made a big pan of Batchelors packet soup for us and the family. I sat on a camp chair dunking bread into my soup staring at the rain thinking I'll never go camping as an adult.

I've stayed in shit B&Bs posh hotels, hired posh villas abpoad, but I enjoy camping just as much in the right place. It's like home from home comfort wise. 12" good quality king size air mattress and quilt and pillows from home.

And I also like bare basic wold camping/ hiking.

I get what you mean mate. We were on the Wild Duck campsight in great Yarmouth in 77 and I remember it pissing down so hard some pitches were flooded. One family came back to find their tent 6" under water. My mum made a big pan of Batchelors packet soup for us and the family. I sat on a camp chair dunking bread into my soup staring at the rain thinking I'll never go camping as an adult.

I've stayed in shit B&Bs posh hotels, hired posh villas abpoad, but I enjoy camping just as much in the right place. It's like home from home comfort wise. 12" good quality king size air mattress and quilt and pillows from home.

And I also like bare basic wold camping/ hiking.
You nearly got me thinking about trying it again with that king size mattress!! Our four man one was from Rent a Tent in Manchester, I think it had seen it’s best days. When we got to the site we had no idea how to erect (oh er) the thing, after half an hour two of the lads (just three of us) buggered off to the bar leaving me to try and figure it out. A family next pitch took pity on me, came over and in about an hour the job was done. I joined the others in the bar and got free drinks all afternoon, when we got back to the tent I introduced our neighbours as the people who put our tent up!! Few expletives followed but despite everything it was almost an enjoyable if wet week away.

You nearly got me thinking about trying it again with that king size mattress!! Our four man one was from Rent a Tent in Manchester, I think it had seen it’s best days. When we got to the site we had no idea how to erect (oh er) the thing, after half an hour two of the lads (just three of us) buggered off to the bar leaving me to try and figure it out. A family next pitch took pity on me, came over and in about an hour the job was done. I joined the others in the bar and got free drinks all afternoon, when we got back to the tent I introduced our neighbours as the people who put our tent up!! Few expletives followed but despite everything it was almost an enjoyable if wet week away.
Modern tents are well designed and easy to erect, some even have inflatable tubes. I think some look down their nose at camping, especially caravaners, but we are almost as comfortable as being in tin box on wheels.
Decathlon Go Outdoors and Millets are best for gear, although some of the supermarkets do camping gear. When the kids go back to school is when prices will get slashed. eBay is also good as long as you know what your buying.

Modern tents are well designed and easy to erect, some even have inflatable tubes. I think some look down their nose at camping, especially caravaners, but we are almost as comfortable as being in tin box on wheels.
Decathlon and Go Outdoors and Millets are best for gear, although some of the supermarkets do camping gear. When the kids go back to school is when prices will get slashed. eBay is also good as long as you know what your buying.
You are really selling this to me!! I’m very tempted to give it a whirl.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.