VAR impact and consequence log - game 27

Is there confusion with the rules? My understanding is that all goals are scrutinised irrespective of refs decision and you will do well to say there was no hand ball by Laporte, and clear and obvious only applies to something the ref has wrong or missed?

of course there is confusion over the rules, certainly in respect of when VAR will be applied, as this seems to change every week. As I said, initial selling of VAR was for clear and obvious errors, which in my opinion is exactly what it should be for. Accidental handball which does not influence the flight of the ball should, to paraphrase Danny Murphy, on no pitch anywhere in the world be cause for a goal to be disallowed.

Scrutinising every goal is what's killing this for most fans, and is not what VAR was originally intended to do

Laportes arm was being pulled, which May have resulted in the brush, so penalty?
That little arm pull was well before the header so it didn’t affect the handball and there’s no way that it was a penalty.

That little arm pull was well before the header so it didn’t affect the handball and there’s no way that it was a penalty.

I agree, wasn't a penalty, wasn't handball either by any sensible interpretation of the rules

of course there is confusion over the rules, certainly in respect of when VAR will be applied, as this seems to change every week. As I said, initial selling of VAR was for clear and obvious errors, which in my opinion is exactly what it should be for. Accidental handball which does not influence the flight of the ball should, to paraphrase Danny Murphy, on no pitch anywhere in the world be cause for a goal to be disallowed.

Scrutinising every goal is what's killing this for most fans, and is not what VAR was originally intended to do

I meant confusion amongst fans?

It w#has been stated several times pre season and following last week's games that VAR will be used for:

Clear and obvious errors made by ref
To check every goal for infringement
To ensure straight reds are that
To confirm a players identity

Yesterday, the only gripe we can have is not being awarded the penalty

The issue is its application

But that’s got nothing to do with VAR. That’s the new handball rule being shit.

In terms of the new handball rule, it was a clear and obvious error as the ball definitely hit Laporte’s hand.

We can’t have it both ways. We wanted Llorente’s goal last season in the CL disallowed for exactly the same thing (it hit Llorente’s arm even less than Laporte’s). The attacking team can now no longer have the ball hit an arm in any degree leading up to a goal.

But that’s got nothing to do with VAR. That’s the new handball rule being shit.

In terms of the new handball rule, it was a clear and obvious error as the ball definitely hit Laporte’s hand.

We can’t have it both ways. We wanted Llorente’s goal last season in the CL disallowed for exactly the same thing (it hit Llorente’s arm even less than Laporte’s). The attacking team can now no longer have the ball hit an arm in any degree leading up to a goal.
Nail on head

We can’t have it both ways. We wanted Llorente’s goal last season in the CL disallowed for exactly the same thing (it hit Llorente’s arm even less than Laporte’s). T

That's completely wrong, Llorente incident changed the direction of the ball and led directly to the goal, Laporte incident didn't affect the flight of the ball

can't argue with that, but it's all part and parcel isn't it, without VAR this rule would never have been implemented because it would be impossible to police

We are all pissed off mate, but something needed to be done to at least look to help the refs out who, for whatever reason, were not able to manage games to the law correctly, and it was voted in. As I said in an earlier post, its the laws it is being applied to that need a looking at

That's completely wrong, Llorente incident changed the direction of the ball and led directly to the goal, Laporte incident didn't affect the flight of the ball
Sorry but I'm pretty sure the flight of the ball was affected by it touching Laporte, it then changed directions even though it was minimal.....and ended up at the feet of Jesus

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.