The New Handball Law

• Thread starter Deleted member 77198
  • Start date
Agree with other posts ,we should have been minimum 4-1 up at half time , but missed chances are part of the game , so when the run of the ball doesnt go for us and we are unlucky or players make errors , we need to depend on VAR and its apparent 100% accuracy ,which takes the "luck" out of the equation. The Rodri incident was a complete joke, that would have been an assault on the street .VAR is a good idea , its the clowns implementing the system that are the problem

Then you misunderstand the real implementation, just treat is a video screen confirmation of last year's refereeing and let's get on with it. To expect, seek or hope it will do us any favours is naive.

So basically, if you think the ball has brushed your arm in the opposition penalty area you might as well kick the ball out of play because no goal can ever come of it.

Last edited:
I have absolutely no problem with the rules, what I object to is the interpretation of the rules by those making the decisions.

Looking at the disallowed goal yesterday none of the criteria stipulated in the rules were met.

1. It IS an offence if a player deliberately touches the ball with their hand/arm.

(Definitely not deliberate, even the officials would agree)

2. It IS an offence if a player gains possession/ control after it has touched their hand/arm and then either scores in the opponents' goal or creates a goal scoring opportunity.

(Laporte did not gain possession or control of the ball and the deflection did not create a goal scoring opportunity.)
Jesus had to run 2 yards to collect the ball, bring the ball under control, move the ball into an area where he could shoot and then strike the ball past 4 defenders and a goalkeeper. Jesus created the goal scoring opportunity, not Laporte. Now compare that to the goal disallowed last week in the wolves game where the Boly handball fell to the feet of a team mate who did not have to move other than to kick the ball into the net from 3 yards. Therefore a goal scoring opportunity was created by the hand ball.

3. It is NOT USUALLY an offence if the ball touches a player's hand/arm directly from the player's own head or body(including the foot)

Now it is hard to spot but in one of the angles shown it appears that the ball actually takes an initial deflection from Laporte's neck before heading to the arm area.

I have no problem with the rules. If the rules were applied properly then the goal would have stood as a perfectly good goal. VAR was introduced to eradicate mistakes by officials but when a stonewall penalty is not given and a perfectly good goal is chopped off then it is difficult to ignore that there may be an agenda to fuck us over.
I absolutely agree that Laporte did NOT gain control or possession of the ball, thus we don’t move on in that aspect of the law.

No control or possession, therefore no reason for that aspect of the rule to be used, even though it DID create a goal scoring opportunity, as we scored.

I think in their zeal to show they can see everything, the REFEREES USING VAR have overplayed the rule and MISINTERPRETED both the letter and intent of the law.

It is incidental contact which doesn’t rise to the threshold (REQUIRED BY THE LAW) of control or possession!

I absolutely agree that Laporte did NOT gain control or possession of the ball, thus we don’t move on in that aspect of the law.

No control or possession, therefore no reason for that aspect of the rule to be used, even though it DID create a goal scoring opportunity, as we scored.

I think in their zeal to show they can see everything, the REFEREES USING VAR have overplayed the rule and MISINTERPRETED both the letter and intent of the law.

It is incidental contact which doesn’t rise to the threshold (REQUIRED BY THE LAW) of control or possession!

The Premier league have a new toy , so they are going to investigate anything and everything to justify its implementation , hopefully the novelty will wear off and they will only concentrate on wrestling matches in the penalty area :)

The Premier league have a new toy , so they are going to investigate anything and everything to justify its implementation , hopefully the novelty will wear off and they will only concentrate on wrestling matches in the penalty area :)
What a ridiculous call that was on Rodri! Everyone except Oliver saw it, and the VAR refs didn’t deem it “clear and obvious” ENOUGH to slate their mate!

FA COWARDICE ALL AROUND.

I wonder what happens in the following scenario? Spurs corner yesterday and the ball hits LaPorte exactly the same way. Ederson then hoofs it up the pitch and it goes in. Indirect free kick to Spurs? Direct free kick, therefore a penalty to Spurs?
Same scenario but Eddie plays it to KDB, one pass to Sterling who goes through and scores. Have we gained control of the ball, and affected a goal after an unintentional handball? They might have opened a can of worms with this one..

By general refereeing standards, giving correct decisions for and against us is doing us a favour. Being fair to us is doing us a favour.

it is not doing us a favour , it is making the correct decision , how is that a favour ? , the officials are implenting the rules correctly not doing "favours". Doing us a "favour" is is allowing an illegal/offside/handball decision to our advantage , that is a favour.

Nobody will complain about this rule when they disallow a goal like this against us.

Chances are tho that it will be when we are 4-0 up against Villa and it wont make it 4-1 but stays 4-0 so nobody will really care.

this was bit more tricky as it was a high pressure games in 93. minute. Drama.

I would just totally ask the players to make very strong long shots from 20 metres away maximum but with real power so ball has speed and it can catch defenders arms in the air. That could be the case of "making themselves bigger" so its a pen.

If you look at our normal crossing its most of the time very low crosses. No chance of hitting any arms. We have the most shots, we cross maybe the most, we spend most time of oppoents box we have to take advantage of it and start getting the pens by taking advantage of the rules.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.