Jesus offside goal vs West Ham - Explanation in the Mail

Very interesting although according to reports the cameras are at 50 frames per second but even so it isn’t perfect at all.

The cameras broadcast at 50 fps, but I believe they can record at a higher rate.

You can record at 240 fps with a GoPro. Hawkeye in cricket has been faster than that for some years, so I expect the PL VAR is at least comparable.

Ye
To be fair Andy Gray came up with the same conclusion a week ago on that Bein Sports programme him and Richard Keys do over in the Middle East somewhere (I cant remember exactly which Country it is broadcast from so please excuse the broad generalisation of a region). I'm sure it will be floating around on the internet somewhere but he showed exactly this point and compared to the Sterling goal that was given.
Yes I saw that and Andy Gray and his mate were fuming about the West Ham decisions.

We have to remember that the spirit of offside in the early days of football was to prevent goalhanging. Likewise, the goalkeepers not moving forward of the goalline at penalties was to stop them charging the ball down. So what we have are 2 rules that were never meant to be a precise science suddenly attempting to be analysed by equipment not capable of delivering precise answers. Certainly it is fair to say that the introduction of offside was never to see fantastic goals ruled out by faceless computer operators in TV studios 200 miles away, who are literally guessing at what may or may not have occurred on a frame of film that does not exist. In short we have been EU'd, i.e. taken over and dictated to by faceless unelected individuals who don't appear answerable for any of their unexplainable decisions!

Very interesting although according to reports the cameras are at 50 frames per second but even so it isn’t perfect at all.

Professional video cameras are easily capable of 60fps and above, but the full frame rate isn’t used by the broadcasters as it requires more transmission bandwidth. The bandwidth issue gets exacerbated by higher resolution so old style SD to 2K and 4K systems creates a large expansion of the data that you have to move around.

I’m very confused why they have centralised the VAR referees. If every PL stadium had a VAR room with Multi Gigabit networking capability, they could put the VAR refs in there and use the full capability of the cameras.

Makes no sense to use the Broadcasters feeds.

60fps is nothing. Almost all of the cameras they currently use can likely already do that. Most consumer cameras and even some phones can records 120fps, albeit at a lower resolution. I think Sky already record in 50fps, they just don't broadcast it because it takes up more bandwidth. But you could easily have proper high speed cameras recording 6,000 - 20,000fps especially for VAR. Or we could much more easily accept that there's a margin of error and therefore go with the linesman's decision unless VAR can conclusively prove otherwise.

Agreed, the VAR officials could be in a room at each stadium with high speed networking. They might then have a chance of getting things more accurate. Makes no sense to use the transmission feeds.

Like I said on the other thread, they should draw thick lines to allow for the margin of error and if the lines overlap at all the advantage should be given to the attacking side. The thickness of the lines could be related to the speed of the players if they have the tech to do it or just make them a standard thickness to cover most cases.

Totally agree with this. If they don’t use high speed cameras/feeds then the error band should be built into the decision and benefit should go with the attacker...

Or scrap it and let the ref do exactly this!

If players are judged to be offside in future by a fuckin' toenail by some biased and skewed twat sat in their secret bunker, then I'm done going to games. Watching paint dry will become more appealing than watching football governed by VAR.
Or watching cricket.

yeseye said:
Microchip in ball,
Microchip in all players boots.
Determine the exact position of Forward / Defender at the exact time the ball has been played.
No need for these silly lines.

Well you could use the same 2d technology that they use for goal lines, cumbersome but doable.
the ball already has a chip.
the home and away teams have chips with different frequencies(obviously).
other than keepers, all players have chips mounted on their bodies, one behind each ear, on each shoulder, each elbow, each hand, hip, knee and boot, so whichever way you are angled you will always have a most forward position.
you also have one on the back of your ass and one your nob end for if a player is facing directly forward or backwards.
here's what makes it work the most fairly of all systems so far getting around which video frame to use. you always use the frame, no exceptions, no interpretation, where the chip on the ball is closest to the chip on the boot at the moment of impact, while measuring whose chip is closest to the goal line at that moment.
any player not having all chips in place at the half or full time gets a two match ban.
any player caught trying to remove an opposing players chips gets a five game ban.
simple.

That’s not how goal line technology works mate.

There are no sender ‘chips’ in balls, boots, arses or knobs.

Goal line tech works just like the new offside thing with a couple of important differences. It uses a load of high speed cameras (16 per goal I think) the camera data is used to triangulate the 2D position of the ball in relation to the posts and line. There’s a lot of data but it is processed locally and so the system can use the full resolution and frame rate of the cameras. That’s why I’m personally satisfied that goal line tech is accurate enough to be reliable. It is also not dependent on human interpretation so less scope for cheating.

The cameras broadcast at 50 fps, but I believe they can record at a higher rate.

You can record at 240 fps with a GoPro. Hawkeye in cricket has been faster than that for some years, so I expect the PL VAR is at least comparable.
The cameras are well capable but VAR uses the broadcast data feeds which are reduced to 25fps for Sky.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.