Spurs (H) Post Match Thread

Completely outplayed us. Amazed you managed to concede that tame Lamela shot and from a corner - which we are horrific at usually.

KDB is something else. Gives me a sinking feeling every time he gets the ball in the attacking third. He seems so consistent. I'm a Spurs fan so see things through a different light of course and watch most City games (just not when fixtures clash). Have seen a lot of hate given to Kyle Walker-Peters for the first goal. It was the lads 10th league appearance at age 22 against a side that attacked us as good as I have seen anyone. The ball from KDB, and the header from Sterling was pretty amazing - a world class goal.

You lot probably should have been 4-0 up from the chances created, though I would say those 4 goals should have come from other chances missed rather than converting something so special which you cant 'expect'.

City are the best team in Europe with the exception of Barcelona when Messi is doing his thing - but for consistency City appear far better than Barca to me.

As for Liverpool, I believe they were flattered last season getting away with all sorts that VAR would have stopped a lot of - likely squashing their momentum over the season.
Hate VAR all you want now, but I do believe it will be responsible for you lot finishing a good 15 points above Liverpool this season.

My view is that;
City are a 90-100 points team.
Liverpool are a 80-90 points team.
Spurs are a 75-85 points team.

You also have to remember that we aren't in the same place as City right now. It looks like Eriksen and possibly others might be leaving before the European transfer window closes, new arrivals that are not fit/ready to play, and big players missing (Dele, Vertonghen, Son and to a certain degree Kane). The massive difference between City and Spurs, is that when you have an outstanding player missing, it doesn't really make that much of a difference. Partly due to the personnel that come in as a direct replacement, but more so to do with the style of play and footballing ethos of a Pep side. I love Poch and our team - would love us to hang around giving the media cause to sell a 'title race', and believe we are capable of beating 14 other teams home and away.. but it almost certainly wont happen.

Through the 90s I had to put up with 'wanting' United to win the league because it basically prevented Arsenal from doing it while we were fighting for being in the top half. Now I of course have to be optimistic about our chances - but if it comes down to City preventing Chelsea or Liverpool winning the league while also playing some of the most fantastic football I have ever seen - you have my vote.

As for levels though - do you really want to walk the league and win it in March/April looking like Celtic or PSG? That's the way it could be going and I'm not entirely sure City fans would even want it that way? Isn't the passion and drama in football only prevalent due to the competition?

After last season, I'd be happy to walk the league and be able to give greater focus to also winning the UCL. There's no guarantee by the way that we will win anything this year.

I'd also like to see us set more records, including most consecutive English titles: it's fun.

Also, I hate losing but most of us can cope with that: we've had enough practice.

Ultimately, boring non-event after non-event title race is not a good thing but it's up to the rest to catch us and it's not our wealth that is putting us ahead now: it's how well we are managed. Therefore, other teams can challenge; plus, we will lose Pep one day (in two years as it stands) and that will inevitably take something away from us. Also, football goes in cycles so we just have to enjoy it while it's our turn to shine.

I've not seen or heard one single pundit say that the Rodri penalty incident shouldn't have been given, so what was Oliver actually looking at, come out and explain because if he says he didn't see it then VAR is wrong and we know that can't be the case because we are being told it's not VAR but the rules, or just plain incompetence

It's not paranoid,in the round of 18 games,the rags play tonite,ours is the only one poured over to find something wrong with the goals,the reviews in the others games are over in seconds,ere are loads of instances every weekend going back forever but we have had it 2 games running? yeah right,the raz goal was the first time they had to use there fancy lines and show everyone what they can do and they were showing off,look at us we can find a mm to chalk it off,men and their toys and all that and by the way forums are for talking about the game
You're right, the Raz offside was the first time there was a close call. So there's nothing to compare it to yet.
Similarly, with the handball incident, there has only been one other comparably incident (Wolves), and the officials gave exactly the same call as they did in our game. Now, if the rags/dippers 'get away' with similar incidents, you'll have a point, but they haven't (yet :-))

After last season, I'd be happy to walk the league and be able to give greater focus to also winning the UCL. There's no guarantee by the way that we will win anything this year.

I'd also like to see us set more records, including most consecutive English titles: it's fun.

Also, I hate losing but most of us can cope with that: we've had enough practice.

Ultimately, boring non-event after non-event title race is not a good thing but it's up to the rest to catch us and it's not our wealth that is putting us ahead now: it's how well we are managed. Therefore, other teams can challenge; plus, we will lose Pep one day (in two years as it stands) and that will inevitably take something away from us. Also, football goes in cycles so we just have to enjoy it while it's our turn to shine.

Yeah that's fair enough. I can only imagine what it's like winning so many trophies - but would expect with each one the celebrations are a little less extreme? The feeling from Aguero's last minute league winner could only be replicated by falling away for decades before coming back and pipping your city rivals - unless they manage to get themselves back in the Champions league elite and you do it to them in a final?

Regarding the wealth not putting you ahead - that's only true when comparing yourselves with other wealthy clubs. You are ahead of United because of management, but there's a good 14-16 other teams in the Premier league who I guess are irrelevant because they don't have that level of wealth to compete.
Who knows what managers like Pochettino could do with such a highly talented squad. I expect we will find out within a few years when Madrid get bored of Zidane.

And yours of a doormat,lets not continue as we are going round in circles and i'm aware that i keep repeating myself
WHEN the Himalayan peasant meets the he-bear in his pride,
He shouts to scare the monster, who will often turn aside.
But the she-bear thus accosted rends the peasant tooth and nail.
For the female of the species is more deadly than the male.
:)

I've not seen or heard one single pundit say that the Rodri penalty incident shouldn't have been given, so what was Oliver actually looking at, come out and explain because if he says he didn't see it then VAR is wrong and we know that can't be the case because we are being told it's not VAR but the rules, or just plain incompetence

Lineker, Murphy, Shearer and Neville just of the top of my head.

This has probably been said but I was thinking about Pep's "one of our best games ever" comment and realised that we restricted Spurs, 3rd best team in the country and CL finalists to a 60 yard potshot out of frustration, a header from a 5'7" forward at a corner and a 25 yard shot on the break which should have been saved 99/100 times.

It was an incredible defensive performance let down by a freak goalkeeping error and a miscommunication about marking the least dangerous player at a corner.

And on the other side we created 30 opportunities to shoot.

It must be so frustrating for him.

Like I mentioned elsewhere, it was almost too easy for us - like a training session when the attempts at goal are casual. As casual as Liam Gallagher in a parka swaggering up to the ball with a fag in one hand and toe-banging it miles over the bar to make his mates laugh then turning round with arms in the air laughing. That's what our finishing was like.

As you were.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.