"The Athletic" launches in the UK | About to be bought by NYT for $550m (p 32)

Very interesting. I wish them every success. Hopefully, they remain true to their core beliefs.

However, this bit confused me:
The Athletic—ad-free, online-only—is a test of digital journalism’s subscription model. Subscriptions cost $10 per month or $60 per year, though many start at lower promotional rates. Average annual revenue per subscriber is $64, according to the company.
If it's ad-free and the full subscription price (which hardly anyone pays) is $60 per year, how are they pulling in an average of $64 per subscriber?

Very interesting. I wish them every success. Hopefully, they remain true to their core beliefs.

If it's ad-free and the full subscription price (which hardly anyone pays) is $60 per year, how are they pulling in an average of $64 per subscriber?

At a guess - maybe the promotional rates were for on UK subscribers as it has been available in the US for a while, I believe. The reason being I’ve seen people post about how good their MLB coverage has been

Maybe because a lot pay monthly?

I cancelled after 2 or 3 weeks into the trial. When asked for a reason I said that even after such a short time it had become very very clear it was like all the other titles & just a PR machine for the rags & dippers. Even the odd article about City was dull as ditchwater merely restating the bleedin obvious.

Shame really.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.