The New Handball Law

• Thread starter Deleted member 77198
  • Start date
You need to read the new handball rules again properly
No. City's goal was ruled out because a team-mate was deemed to have created a goal scoring opportunity through accidentally handling the ball. If a defender does that and a team-mate clears the ball and it lands to another team-mate who then scores at the other end it is the same thing, a GSO, and the game is restarted with a direct free-kick, only it's in the penalty area so has to be a penalty. There's no caveat in the laws about losing/re-gaining control or possession, phases or time limits, distances the ball has travelled etc.

Imagine this is at the end of the game and the Dippers need to score a goal to win the league so have pushed everyone up for a corner. City are defending, it accidentally comes off Laporte's hand (no penalty), lands to Otamendi who lumps it up field where Jesus latches onto it and scores into the open goal. VAR kicks in as standard, spots the defender's accidental handball so disallows the goal. Game restarts with a penalty to the dippers.

No. City's goal was ruled out because a team-mate was deemed to have created a goal scoring opportunity through accidentally handling the ball. If a defender does that and a team-mate clears the ball and it lands to another team-mate who then scores at the other end it is the same thing, a GSO, and the game is restarted with a direct free-kick, only it's in the penalty area so has to be a penalty. There's no caveat in the laws about losing/re-gaining control or possession, phases or time limits, distances the ball has travelled etc.

Imagine this is at the end of the game and the Dippers need to score a goal to win the league so have pushed everyone up for a corner. City are defending, it accidentally comes off Laporte's hand (no penalty), lands to Otamendi who lumps it up field where Jesus latches onto it and scores into the open goal. VAR kicks in as standard, spots the defender's accidental handball so disallows the goal. Game restarts with a penalty to the dippers.
You still need to read the law.

Well obviously I can't spot it so just explain it. I'm not claiming to be infallible and might have looked past the obvious.
HANDLING THE BALL

It is an offence if a player:
  • deliberately touches the ball with their hand/arm, including moving the hand/arm towards the ball
  • gains possession/control of the ball after it has touched their hand/arm and then:
    • scores in the opponents’ goal
    • creates a goal-scoring opportunity
  • scores in the opponents’ goal directly from their hand/arm, even if accidental, including by the goalkeeper

It is usually an offence if a player:

• touches the ball with their hand/arm when:
    • the hand/arm has made their body unnaturally bigger
    • the hand/arm is above/beyond their shoulder level (unless the player deliberately plays the ball which then touches their hand/arm)
The above offences apply even if the ball touches a player’s hand/arm directly from the head or body (including the foot) of another player who is close.

Except for the above offences, it is not usually an offence if the ball touches a player’s hand/arm:

• directly from the player’s own head or body (including the foot)
  • directly from the head or body (including the foot) of another player who is close
  • if the hand/arm is close to the body and does not make the body unnaturally bigger
  • when a player falls and the hand/arm is between the body and the ground to support the body, but not extended laterally or vertically away from the body

HANDLING THE BALL

It is an offence if a player:
  • deliberately touches the ball with their hand/arm, including moving the hand/arm towards the ball
  • gains possession/control of the ball after it has touched their hand/arm and then:
    • scores in the opponents’ goal
    • creates a goal-scoring opportunity
  • scores in the opponents’ goal directly from their hand/arm, even if accidental, including by the goalkeeper

It is usually an offence if a player:

• touches the ball with their hand/arm when:
    • the hand/arm has made their body unnaturally bigger
    • the hand/arm is above/beyond their shoulder level (unless the player deliberately plays the ball which then touches their hand/arm)
The above offences apply even if the ball touches a player’s hand/arm directly from the head or body (including the foot) of another player who is close.

Except for the above offences, it is not usually an offence if the ball touches a player’s hand/arm:

• directly from the player’s own head or body (including the foot)
  • directly from the head or body (including the foot) of another player who is close
  • if the hand/arm is close to the body and does not make the body unnaturally bigger
  • when a player falls and the hand/arm is between the body and the ground to support the body, but not extended laterally or vertically away from the body
Copy/pasting the laws doesn't explain your argument against mine.

Copy/pasting the laws doesn't explain your argument against mine.
As has been said on here many times Laporte didn't gain possession of the ball nor did he control it and neither did he score. Therefore the goal was incorrectly disallowed. This accidental hand ball law doesn't apply to the defending team so no penalty would be awarded.

As has been said on here many times Laporte didn't gain possession of the ball nor did he control it and neither did he score. Therefore the goal was incorrectly disallowed. This accidental hand ball law doesn't apply to the defending team so no penalty would be awarded.
I agree, but VAR determined that he did (we assume) and my supposition is based on the same interpretation. I'm not making an argument that the decision was correct, I am pointing out a scenario that could/should occur if the referees maintain their stance that the law was applied correctly.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.