Recent (-ish) City players you've never heard of

Big Swifty

I thought I knew pretty much everyone who's played for City, but I recently came across a Steve Rimmer and an Alan Bailey, who played for us in a game in 1998. I'd never heard of them
It seems they turned out v Mansfield at home in the Auto Windscreens trophy on Dec 8th 1998, Rimmer starting and Bailey coming on as a sub, the only time either of them played. They were in a side also "starring" Tony Vaughan, Neil Heaney and Jamie Pollock.
City lost 1-2 and the crowd was 3,007.
Was there ever a lower attendance for a competitive game at Maine Rd (or the Etihad)? And was there ever a lower point in City's fortunes?
I'd be interested to know if any Bluemooners were at that wretched evening.

I thought I knew pretty much everyone who's played for City, but I recently came across a Steve Rimmer and an Alan Bailey, who played for us in a game in 1998. I'd never heard of them
It seems they turned out v Mansfield at home in the Auto Windscreens trophy on Dec 8th 1998, Rimmer starting and Bailey coming on as a sub, the only time either of them played. They were in a side also "starring" Tony Vaughan, Neil Heaney and Jamie Pollock.
Was there ever a lower attendance for a competitive game at Maine Rd (or the Etihad)? And was there ever a lower point in City's fortunes?
Every now and again i will see some fucknugget use that game and attendance as if that was city's level before the Sheikh, and i'll also know that deep down we have ruined their glory hunting bandwagon jumping fucknugget lives.

I was there, me and mum sat on the centre line of the Kippax instead of our usual seats, prime spot to watch a team desperate to lose ;)

(And yes, i'd heard of those 2 players, mainly cos i followed the reserves, and also have a statto memory for matches if i went... or rather i used to, turning 40 has made me as forgetful as a goldfish for recent events)

How can I post a players player's name if I've never heard of him? ; )

As I posted, on another thread, we seem to have unwittingly cursed a number of teams who either enjoyed success, or a rare League appearance against City circa 97-99
Stockport, Bury, Oxford, Macclesfield, Lincoln, and York, have all since hosted National League football or worse
Our FA Cup opponents in 98-99 (Halfax, Darlington, and Wimbledon) all went into liquidation, and our only opponent in the enire history of the Autoglass (Mansfield) also tasted non league football.

PS: Didn't Alan Bailey score a last minute winner for Stockport at Maine Road, just a few seasons later?

Strange, but true.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...s/shot-stardom-footballer-alan-bailey-4341574

Thanks for the info. I remember the last-minute pen won by Stockport, conceded by Nicky Weaver as I recall. I didn't know it was Bailey who won it.
So he gave up football so young.

I was there and it was a shocker, but no surprise with that team we put out.
Rags often refer to this game and the attendance for some obscure reason!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.