City's New Kits - 2019/20

To say the UAE treat LGBTQ people ‘absolutely horrifically’ is bollocks, LGBTQ in this country are still beaten and and in some cases murdered because they are ‘gay’

When was the last time people in the UK were sentenced to 5 years in prison by the government for being gay?

Trying to draw a false equivalency between a country's laws making it illegal and in theory at least punishable by death, in practice by 5+ years in prison to be LGBT and people in the UK illegally committing hate crimes is fucking pathetic.

What is wrong with you? Why are you so sensitive to any criticism of something linked to City that you're defending the UAE locking people up for being gay?

Last edited:
'At the end of the day, being LGBT is illegal in the UAE and punishable by death'

It is illegal, and it is punishable by death, even if they haven't sentenced people to death for it, it is on the table when you get arrested & tried for being gay.

Edit - If you want to keep this argument going, I'm more than happy to, but perhaps as a mod you should move into another thread.

Last edited:
When was the last time you heard rape described as "consensual sodomy"? Did you just not bother reading to the end, or did you ignore it deliberately?
I ignored it deliberately because it was written by the person who wrote the Wikipedia article, whereas the first part is a direct quotation from the law. Guess which part "consensual sodomy" appears in. Here it is directly from the English language version of the UAE penal code:

Article 354 Without prejudice to the provisions of the law on juvenile delinquents and displaced(1), shall be sentenced to death penalty, whoever used coercion in having sexual intercourse with a female or sodomy with a male. Coercion shall be considered existent if the victim is below fourteen years of age when the crime is perpetrated.

Article 355 Attempt to perpetrate the crimes stipulated in the preceding Article (shall be sanctioned to life imprisonment.

Article 356 Without prejudice to two preceding articles, the crime of voluntary debasement shall be penalized by detention for a minimum term of one year, but if the said crime is perpetrated on a male or female below fourteen years of age or if committed by coercion, the penalty shall be term imprisonment.

Article 357 Should death of the victim result from one of the crimes provided for in the preceding articles, the penalty shall be the death sentence.

So they only give the death sentence to rapists who also kill their victims. Other than that, there doesn't appear to be any other reference to sodomy in the whole penal code. It could be covered under "indecent acts" which carry a minimum of 6 months in prison (there's no maximum mentioned in the section I've read).

I've heard gay rights campaigners suggest it can theoretically lead to up to 14 years in prison. This is because in addition to the UAE penal code, there is also the Abu Dhabi penal code. Article 80 prohibits "personal intercourse contrary to nature" with 14 years in prison. The equivalent law in Dubai stipulates 10 years in prison (ETA: I should say 'up to'). Where claims of the death penalty may come from is that sharia law does stipulate death as the punishment for homosexual acts, but in the UAE, sharia is only used in civil matters between individuals, not criminal cases.

Obviously I'm not here to defend the UAE's record on gay rights (it's hard to defend 14 years in prison for being gay), but let's try and be factual with our criticisms. I think the nub of the issue here is exactly that these 'journalists' on Twitter don't actually give enough of a shit to actually research these issues, because they're only interested in using them as a reason to bash our club, not because they actually care about the issues. Notice that the journalists who actually do a lot of good work on this issue in the Middle East aren't the ones sharing it with our club's name to score cheap points.

I wold rather believe somebody who actually lived/lives there than some know it all fuckwit on the internet. As clearly stated, no one has ever been prosecuted with the death sentence for same sex relationships in the UAE.

And again, up until recently the laws in this country were very similar ( death penalty excluded), also as the article states it takes time for change, and change will happen.

No one is defending the UAE, I am simply stating that your sweeping statement is absolute bollocks, no matter what nonsense you state and your moral indignation for the UAE gay rights, your sweeping statement is utter bullshit.

In all honesty, you are a know it all prick in most threads, so your stance in this one is no surprise, so please be a good chap and please fuck off with your bullshit on LGBTQ rights.

"I'm not trying to defend the UAE" says the person who said it's not a big deal that people get sent to prison for being gay because some people here still get attacked because of it and "until recently our laws weren't great either".

Sounds a lot like you're defending them, you're certainly making a lot of excuses.

By the way, that 1 opinion piece was interesting, although it was odd that the writer didnt mention the 26 men who were arrested and given 5 years in jail for being gay when he was explaining how progressive the UAE is.

I ignored it deliberately because it was written by the person who wrote the Wikipedia article, whereas the first part is a direct quotation from the law. Guess which part "consensual sodomy" appears in. Here it is directly from the English language version of the UAE penal code:

So they only give the death sentence to rapists who also kill their victims. Other than that, there doesn't appear to be any other reference to sodomy in the whole penal code. It could be covered under "indecent acts" which carry a minimum of 6 months in prison (there's no maximum mentioned in the section I've read).

I've heard gay rights campaigners suggest it can theoretically lead to up to 14 years in prison. This is because in addition to the UAE penal code, there is also the Abu Dhabi penal code. Article 80 prohibits "personal intercourse contrary to nature" with 14 years in prison. The equivalent law in Dubai stipulates 10 years in prison (ETA: I should say 'up to'). Where claims of the death penalty may come from is that sharia law does stipulate death as the punishment for homosexual acts, but in the UAE, sharia is only used in civil matters between individuals, not criminal cases.

Obviously I'm not here to defend the UAE's record on gay rights (it's hard to defend 14 years in prison for being gay), but let's try and be factual with our criticisms. I think the nub of the issue here is exactly that these 'journalists' on Twitter don't actually give enough of a shit to actually research these issues, because they're only interested in using them as a reason to bash our club, not because they actually care about the issues. Notice that the journalists who actually do a lot of good work on this issue in the Middle East aren't the ones sharing it with our club's name to score cheap points.

Thanks for an actually well researched answer, in the future I'll not say its punishable by death, just that its punishable by 5+ years in prison and mention the interior minister promising to treat them with Male hormone injections and psychiatric treatment.

Last edited:
Thanks for an actually well researched answer, in the future I'll not say its punishable by death, just that its punishable by 5+ years in prison and mention the interior minister promising to treat them with Male hormone injections and psychiatric treatment.
Yes,we are well aware of their barbaric attitude towards certain members of society.....but that wasn't the debate(not argument....)

It's good you have finally recognised you were wrong.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.