Missing wall - building advice

Jamie I am not a builder but that doesn't look right. Walls don't just collapse and yet the rest stay up in good condition, you really need professional advice as it cannot be a matter of it just falling down ! Have you asked the person selling it what happened ?
Looks like there was a chimney /fireplace in that wall. I'd guess it was an issue there. Probably not originally an external wall but party wall with adjoining property?

Looks like there was a chimney /fireplace in that wall. I'd guess it was an issue there. Probably not originally an external wall but party wall with adjoining property?
I thought that but then wondered if it had just dropped due to wall falling.
I'll know more after I visit

You posted just as I did, had I known I would have kept quiet ! But am I right in saying walls don't just fall down ? I certainly agree about a stonemason but I would ask his advice before buying it in case of other issues.
Well, without knowing if anything has happened ie: the footings sinking or a tank driving into it, the mason should be able to rebuild the wall. If it's because of age there is a good chance that the mortar has turned to shit and the wall has just started to fall apart. If that was the case, i would expect the rest of the stone to be in a similar state. There could be excesive load on the gable from the roof but again, the other gable would carry the same load. My guess is that the either the footing has become undermined or the mortar has turned to shit. If it's the later, the rest of it would need to be scraped out and redone.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.