Roughest / Most unwelcoming cities in the UK

Shirley in Southampton was quite rough. I stayed in a cheap B&B on the main Street, must be 15 years ago. The landlady opened the door fully clad in leather, I reckon she must have been dominatrix. Was too shy to ask but she gave me the eye. She must have been in her early 50s and looked pretty fit for her age. I think I had a wank thinking of her that evening, lovely big jugs.

Went into a rough as fuck pub across the road and it was a workers playtime type place. Someone put Come Undone by Robbie Williams on the jukebox and the whole pub joined in the chorus of - "They've come undone, shoot the Pompey scum, shoot the Pompey scum". It was there I realized the rivalry.

Also drank in the infamous Old mother Shipton in Portsmouth. Now that is a fuckin' rough boozer! Locals with character. Teeth like smashed piano keys and 'cut here' tatts a plenty.

Been going St Ives and Hayle since I was a kid, the most recent visit bring only about 6 weeks ago. Never experienced anything like this ever. What was the rag pub?

Dont know the name of the pub but both me and the other City fan were saying how surprised we were by St Ives. I think it might have been the fact that City had won the FA Cup and the cornish rags could see what was coming. Been back every year to Cornwall mostly on the NW coast from Halye to Newquay and never had a problem since. I might give e St Ives another try in my quadruple tee shirt in October lol

I think you've led a sheltered life mate. Some of your posts suggest you're still sucking on mother's milk, apart from when she lets you trot off to Failsworth for a pint; )

You've met me and I think you thought a was a twat, fair enough pal. I'm not arsed what you think if you do.

"You wouldn't walk around the place in a City shirt either".... You wouldn't I would and have. Do you think I'm making shit up?

And yes, been to Liverpool many times through football, working there night's/days out, and dating a scouser a few weeks. Worked in the centre, boozed in the centre and in quite a few rough n' ready suburbs of Liverpool and the Wirrel. Had brekkie in some real shithole cafs amongst scousers. I have worn a city shirt or club badge, I have walked round in shorts with the old round club badge tatt on my left calf. Some have mentioned it, took the piss a little but I gave as good as I got back.

It's all in the eyes peefree. If out of towners look like they're scared, then the natives will have you for supper, it's as simple as that. But being a streetwise battle scarred big ugly **** with a cheeky SOH has helped me I suppose; )
It's all in the eyes

Stayed in Plymouth for a few nights some years ago. Seemed ok although my friend refused to go anywhere near Union Street as he reckoned it was dangerous. Few decent bars down the Barbican and seemed pretty chilled

Although in one particularly busy bar some guy asked me to get him a drink if he gave me the money as I was getting served. When I got back to my mate he was white and said thank god I’d got it as he was one of the local psychos!!

Apparently Andy Morrison and his brothers used to be quite well known around town !!

Union Street was mostly frequented by pissed up sailors and marines, with drunk lasses looking to snare one of them.

I wouldn't have labled the place rough at all - at least not from my many experiences of the area.

Sadly, much of it has shut down these days.

But as you say, the Barbican is a nice place to go, but can also fill up with many serviceman. One or two of the pubs there are known as 'bootneck' or 'matelot' haunts.

Union Street was mostly frequented by pissed up sailors and marines, with drunk lasses looking to snare one of them.

I wouldn't have labled the place rough at all - at least not from my many experiences of the area.

Sadly, much of it has shut down these days.

But as you say, the Barbican is a nice place to go, but can also fill up with many serviceman. One or two of the pubs there are known as 'bootneck' or 'matelot' haunts.
I've stayed in Plymouth a few times. I like it there. Union Street can be a bit rough and ready as can many other city centres I can think of. The Barbican is a great place to be, especially in summer. One of the best curry houses I've eaten in is on a narrow cobbled st near there. The Himalayan Spice. I had a simple house lamb curry and garlic nan the size of an Indian elephants ear. I'm getting hungry thinking about it.

Not a city but St Ives in Cornwall ok it was 8 yes ago but the abuse my lads and me got from cornish rag fans was unbelievable. My lad was 12 at the time and was given grief in Halye co-op by the cash out kid, so I had to put the kid in his place. When walking around St Ives a bloke in his 50's called me a w**ker as he walked passed me much to my wife surprise. Than walking up the high street saw a few blue and stopped for a chat as us blue do ! And he told me he was kick out of a local pub as it was a rag pub only. I love Cornwall but I will never go back to St Ives or the coop in hayle. Just hope in a few weeks when I go back I dont get any grief from cornish rags !!!
My missus could believe the abuse we got in that one day ! I told her it will get worse the more success City have. But to be fair I have never had a problem anywhere else in Cornwall , and I go back every year ...I just avoid St Ives !!
ahhhhh the famous St Ives service crew.....should have floored the ****.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.