Testimonials

The first testimonial I attended was actually for a United player- Billy Foulkes at Old Trafford. They played a City side in Nov 1970 and I attended with a couple of school pals(I was 14 at the time).
I don't remember much about the actual match,all I can remember is running skirmishes with United fans all along Chester Road back into town,windows being smashed and mounted police keeping rival fans apart.
And this was supposed to be a friendly match!!!

The first testimonial I attended was actually for a United player- Billy Foulkes at Old Trafford. They played a City side in Nov 1970 and I attended with a couple of school pals(I was 14 at the time).
I don't remember much about the actual match,all I can remember is running skirmishes with United fans all along Chester Road back into town,windows being smashed and mounted police keeping rival fans apart.
And this was supposed to be a friendly match!!!
Rag ;-)

The only testimonial I have ever been to was Bert's. Stanley Mathews played for the England 11, still a wonderful player even at that age, must have been well into his 50's. A United player scored an own goal against Bert. Think the final score was 5-4 to England. A great, very emotional night.

Players needed them in those days as they were not on the wages they get now. When they stopped playing the cheque stopped.

sorry if this has been covered elsewhere... but what other players in the last 30years have had testimonials ?

I can only think of Lakey

King Colin Bell

I know it's hard for those of us as a certain age to realise, but 30 years ago was 1989.
So i don't think Colin counts ;)

I went to Lakeys, and Ian Brightwell's, and will be there tomorrow.

I personally wont go to a testimonial, prefer the type of send off zabba got and yaya.

back in the day it was a golden hand shake for the player, i remember going to joe corrigans testimonial donkeys years ag. But players these days get one of those every week with high wages.

if anybody in the last 30 years has deserved his own night it would be Vinny though.

All the money is going to a Manchester charity.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.