"The Athletic" launches in the UK | About to be bought by NYT for $550m (p 32)

Very interesting. I wish them every success. Hopefully, they remain true to their core beliefs.

However, this bit confused me:

If it's ad-free and the full subscription price (which hardly anyone pays) is $60 per year, how are they pulling in an average of $64 per subscriber?
I’d imagine some people pay monthly ($120 per year) thus bringing the average up from $60 per year.

Edit. Already answered. I hadn’t seen your post was a few weeks old.

Not impressed at all, yeah they got an interview with Stephen Ireland and Shauny Wright but they’ve done nothing, added nothing and look like every other sport media outlet.

I've subscribed for the year, really enjoying it and found it to be nothing like some in this thread have described. Each to their own I guess.
Yeah I really like it too. The City articles are excellent and the Michael Cox analysis columns are really good. I'm an NFL fan as well so there's plenty of stuff for me to read

Reactions: ell
It doesn't seem have lived up to its advertising. A shame because there is a yawning gap in the market for a completely unbiased website or printed magazine. One that doesn't re-arrange transfer fees, add-ons and use whatever currency suits them to prove a biased point. We are English and having a terrific hoo-ha over with Europe so why should Euros ever be used in transfers and valuations here?

It doesn't seem have lived up to its advertising. A shame because there is a yawning gap in the market for a completely unbiased website or printed magazine. One that doesn't re-arrange transfer fees, add-ons and use whatever currency suits them to prove a biased point. We are English and having a terrific hoo-ha over with Europe so why should Euros ever be used in transfers and valuations here?

Which article are you referring to? Can't remember them inflating fees or using Euros.

I'm enjoying it. There's normally a couple of interesting pieces a day that soak up my commute.

Which article are you referring to? Can't remember them inflating fees or using Euros.

I'm enjoying it. There's normally a couple of interesting pieces a day that soak up my commute.

I was referring to media generally and the article that appeared in many sources about City's Billion Pound (or not) Spend and the manipulation of data. It also brought back when City bought Eddie and there was criticism of City paying so much for a goalie and one tabloid even used Buffon's fee at a vastly different Euro exchange rate donkeys years previous to make Eddie the most expensive (overpriced) goalie ever. Of course a different angle used when Littlewoods signed their goalie.

The Athlete seems like Marmite. I need to see for myself obviously

I was referring to media generally and the article that appeared in many sources about City's Billion Pound (or not) Spend and the manipulation of data. It also brought back when City bought Eddie and there was criticism of City paying so much for a goalie and one tabloid even used Buffon's fee at a vastly different Euro exchange rate donkeys years previous to make Eddie the most expensive (overpriced) goalie ever. Of course a different angle used when Littlewoods signed their goalie.

The Athlete seems like Marmite. I need to see for myself obviously

The Athletic positions itself as an antithesis to all of that tabloid style reporting you allude to. I can't remember any articles of the style that you mention, that diminish a team's achievements through irrelevant and poorly sourced points.

I've also noticed the number of proper football articles on the BBC and traditional papers has increased since The Athletic launched. They are still needles in haystacks of shite though.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.