Internationals September 5-10 Euro Qualifiers

You wouldn't, you're a Spurs fan, and thus any criticism of Kane(pen) arouses some childish sense of indignation in you, and once more you come on a City forum in order to call out anyone who doesn't see the same in a player as you appear to. You point the finger and condemn anybody whose view of your boy wonder is at odds with yours and then resort to accusing me of doing precisely what you are doing.

My viewpoint is valid in that I have never seen the justification of you or any one else in calling him a great player. I don't THINK he is great, but you appear to KNOW that he is.

He's merely exercising his right to Confirmation Bias, as any football supporter of any club does. But he does make the point that "anyone who really understands football knows that that couldn’t be further from the truth". So, having personally watched football for over 60 years involving all types of football from City to park football, I still don't understand it, but, it appears, only you do? Just because both I and many others disagree with your argument doesn't mean that either of us are wrong-they're just our personal opinions. To call out others on their own forum in such terms is somewhat uncalled for, in my opinion.
One final point. Wasn't Kane's last injury caused when he tried to foul Delph at WHL in the Champions league?

He's merely exercising his right to Confirmation Bias, as any football supporter of any club does. But he does make the point that "anyone who really understands football knows that that couldn’t be further from the truth". So, having personally watched football for over 60 years involving all types of football from City to park football, I still don't understand it, but, it appears, only you do? Just because both I and many others disagree with your argument doesn't mean that either of us are wrong-they're just our personal opinions. To call out others on their own forum in such terms is somewhat uncalled for, in my opinion.
One final point. Wasn't Kane's last injury caused when he tried to foul Delph at WHL in the Champions league?

I don't know if that is aimed at myself or JimB. If me, I'm calling off our engagement and you can kindly return the ring to me and the half-deposit on that cave in the Isle of Man where were going raise our offspring. If aimed at Jim, I've worshipped you from afar, CrazyG and I want you to know that my life will always feel incomplete without you by my side.

Delete as appropriate.

I don't know if that is aimed at myself or JimB. If me, I'm calling off our engagement and you can kindly return the ring to me and the half-deposit on that cave in the Isle of Man where were going raise our offspring. If aimed at Jim, I've worshipped you from afar, CrazyG and I want you to know that my life will always feel incomplete without you by my side.

Delete as appropriate.
It was aimed at Jim, hence my quoting his comments and his calling out others on their own, ie, our, forum.
Having re-read it, it does sound a little ambiguous, so my apologies if I've slighted/upset you in any way.
;-)

Interesting point of view. He had a penalty saved, certainly - albeit by a keeper who was a yard off his line (what are linesmen for in that situation if they can’t even see that?). But he scored a good goal; held the ball up and linked play well; played a part in at least one other goal; created one or two good opportunities for others. I’m not saying that he was outstanding. But to say that he was “abysmal” betrays a staggering level of bias.

I don’t believe that you are!

I think you are seeing what you want to see. You see any instance of Kane not doing what you’d like him to do (in an England shirt) and your confirmation bias kicks in. When he does something good, you either ignore it or diminish its importance. Your persistent belittling of him - Kane(pen) - gives the lie to any protestations of neutrality.

Take Kane’s opening goal against Bulgaria, for instance. All I read on here from myriad posters was that it was all Sterling’s work; that it was merely a tap in for Kane. Yet anyone who really understands football knows that that couldn’t be further from the truth. It was Kane’s pressing of the keeper in the first instance that forced the mistake that allowed Sterling to intercept. Sterling subsequently did brilliantly but it would have been for nought had Kane’s movement to lose his marker not been so good.

Even last night, Kane’s goal was interpreted by many on here as all Sterling’s work - despite Kane having to get past a defender and beat the keeper from a tight angle. The “selfish” Kane was also given little credit for unselfishly setting up Sterling for the latter to hit the post and no credit at all, a minute or so later, for the fantastic run that created the space for Sterling’s next chance that was deflected just wide*. As to Kane not tracking back, I saw him do so on multiple occasions last night.

It seems to me that, rightfully aggrieved by the treatment that Sterling has received from the media, you’re wrongheadedly retaliating by being similarly unfair about a player who you perceive to be the media’s darling. You might not have gone so far as to delve into Kane’s personal life but you do repeatedly call his character into question - ‘selfish’, ‘egotistical’, ‘lazy’ etc.

I will concede that Kane isn’t currently playing to his full potential. He has suffered a lot of injuries over the past year or two and he seems to have lost a yard of pace that he has yet to recover. It makes him easier to mark. The injuries have also affected his overall output. At his best, he worked his socks off - pressing and tackling. He’s doing less of that now, again since the injuries, but it is woefully wide of the mark to suggest that he doesn’t do it at all.

As to the rest, he has a brilliant eye for and execution of a pass (short or long). His movement in and around the box is very clever. And he is, for me, the best pure finisher in the game at the moment. Bar none. Right foot; left foot; head; long range; short range. Such a variety of goals, so consistently, against every level of opposition.

*Just to be clear, I’m not criticising Sterling for failing to score on either occasion. He was fantastic last night and against Bulgaria.

I agree with most of this. I think Kane gets a lot of unfair stick, especially given he is still coming back from injury. Perhaps he has replaced Raheem as the whipping boy. There have been real signs these past couple of matches that Kane and Sterling are starting to build a strong relationship. I also don't think Kane gets enough credit for his passing abilities. That said I thought he was very static for Spurs against City recently and he does seem to have lost some pace. Like many players I think he would improve and flourish under a great coach like Pep. I am not sure Spurs are getting the best out of him at the moment.

The comment “anyone who really understands football knows....” was specifically in response to claims by some on here that all Kane had to do to score against Bulgaria was tap the ball in. Would you really agree with such claims? Did you not see that it was Kane’s pressing that forced the initial goalkeeping error; or that Kane subsequently lost his marker, and made himself free for Sterling’s pass, with clever movement in the box? That’s the thing with ‘tap-ins’.......people often ignore or fail to appreciate everything that has happened to create the opportunity.

As to Kane’s last injury, yes, it happened when he fouled Delph. But I’d disagree that he tried to foul Delph.

I think Kane's excellent but he stopped developing two years ago, and now I don't know if he'll ever reach his potential. I'm not sure if it's the repeated injuries he's had to contend with or something else, but I remember in his early days of regularly playing for Spurs he could win games by himself. Now if he's not involved in a game he tends to drift all the way out of it. It's becoming a bigger and bigger problem for England and Spurs because he's mostly undroppable but sometimes he may as well not be out there.

Agreed with this. His all round game has definitely dropped a level or two over the past couple of injury blighted seasons. Still good for 20-30 goals a season, though - injuries allowing.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.