Gundogan as an attacking midfielder

I'm not sure how we can talk about him hiding when the going gets though when he was an absolute rock during one of the toughest, immaculate and longest run-ins I can remember!

He has his place and was genuinely fantastic last season but he hasn't started the season well, he isn't deserving of a start right now.

I think the problem of Gundogan playing advanced midfield is compounded when he's paired with David Silva. Between the two of them I don't think there is enough energy and drive. The pair of them played together in the Lyon home game we lost last season.

Play one and not the other. If KDB needs a rest then we should trust Foden.

I think the problem of Gundogan playing advanced midfield is compounded when he's paired with David Silva. Between the two of them I don't think there is enough energy and drive. The pair of them played together in the Lyon home game we lost last season.

Play one and not the other. If KDB needs a rest then we should trust Foden.
Games that the two of them have started together as advanced midfielders in the past 2 seasons:
  • Liverpool 3-0 City
  • City 1-2 Lyon
  • Hoffenheim 1-2 City
  • Tottenham 1-0 City
  • City 2-3 United
  • Wolves 1-1 City
  • West Ham 0-4 City
  • Everton 0-2 City
  • United 0-2 City
  • Norwich 3-2 City
  • City 4-1 Burnley
  • Wigan 1-0 City
Hoffenheim and the 2-0 win against United were both shaky until one of them was either subbed off or moved to a different position. Everton was 1-0 until the final minute when Jesus scored.

So the player rated as Europe’s top player by Opta Stats from February onwards last season, City’s best player in the second half of the season and the player with the best individual City performance last season (Spurs at home in the CL) is useless?
https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...news/man-city-stats-gundogan-laporte-16687336

By no means do I think he’s a top attacking mid. In fact I’d never play him there at all. He’s a defensive mid all day for me.

But have a read of this:
https://totalfootballanalysis.com/p...n-manchester-city-premier-league-analysis/amp

He ABSOLUTELY deserved a new deal and when played in defensive midfield where he’s “the most creative #6 in Europe”, that’s where he’s at his best.
Stats don’t reflect a player mate. With that you’d get a well paid job in the states doing american football analysis, love a stat do that lot.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.