The Quality of Our Press Has Gone Down - Agree / Disagree?

Everything is about perspective, was winning the league in 2011/12 down to Kun scoring a goal in the third minute of injury time....... or united losing at home 3-2 to Blackburn(who finished 2nd from bottom with only 8 wins all season), or a result of the other 86 points.....The issue with Saturday's result is that you can basically build any narrative, yes losing to Norwich isn't a great result but its not a huge sample size.....

I would like to know if anyone has any stats to compare our (short) start of the season to last year's pressing numbers.

Watching the games, I feel like our intensity has dropped some. Am I going crazy, because that can't be possible with Pep...right? He won't accept it for much longer if so.

Blasphemous to say perhaps considering Kun is our top scorer, but personally, I think we should be playing Gabriel Jesus. Kun has long been my favourite player. I used to never get names on shirts and he was the first player to have changed that for me.

But based on Jesus's cameos. I see that we can be more intense with him in the lineup. He has come back looking extremely sharp and hungry. I hope Pep Ken see that.

I think David's leg's are going this season either. I saw it coming and was hoping that him being captain would galvanise him to find that last ounce of potency this season but he's not as nimble as he used to be.

And Gundogan, similarly, i think he's kind of jacked after those injuries. He came back looking a bit heavy as well. Yesterday, I was fuming red because on occasions he would stroll along while Bernardo literally sprinted back and forth 4 times in a short amount of time trying to chase the ball to no avail like a dog after a dangling treat.

I don't think Gundogan and DS should play together as AMs away from home.

I think these players are affecting our press some, and wanted to know what you all think. It's the games you don't wake up for against the little teams that I'm talking about. I'm not worried about it in big matches, because those matches breathe new life into players. I could be talking out of my arse right now, so I'm hoping you guys can help me see why I'm wrong, if I'm indeed incorrect.
Typically, against some opposition we go side to side and zig zag up the pitch to draw them on to us and out of formation - at that point we speed things up and exploit the space. When Kevin plays, the zig zag style doesn't last as long as when he gets the ball he tends to run directly at the opposition regardless of their formation. When he came on against Norwich, we instantly looked more dynamic. I'm not overly worried.

Everything is about perspective, was winning the league in 2011/12 down to Kun scoring a goal in the third minute of injury time....... or united losing at home 3-2 to Blackburn(who finished 2nd from bottom with only 8 wins all season), or a result of the other 86 points.....The issue with Saturday's result is that you can basically build any narrative, yes losing to Norwich isn't a great result but its not a huge sample size.....

The problem will be, if we continue to allow the scoring opportunities we have allowed so far, to.teams with such limited possession & they don't fuck it up, we will not win many games 1-0.

So we either sort it out, or don't win the title.

The problem will be, if we continue to allow the scoring opportunities we have allowed so far, to.teams with such limited possession & they don't fuck it up, we will not win many games 1-0.

So we either sort it out, or don't win the title.
My point wasn't we can win the title after losing to Norwich, we could.....but equally as you point out, if we keep playing at the back as we did over the weekend there won't be many clean sheets!!!! It's simply I wouldn't read too much into it, if it's Newcastle away last year then it's all good.. if its the start of half a dozen games turning in disappointing results we will be focusing on the FA Cup before the clocks go back!

My point wasn't we can win the title after losing to Norwich, we could.....but equally as you point out, if we keep playing at the back as we did over the weekend there won't be many clean sheets!!!! It's simply I wouldn't read too much into it, if it's Newcastle away last year then it's all good.. if its the start of half a dozen games turning in disappointing results we will be focusing on the FA Cup before the clocks go back!

Last season with Laporte & Vinny available, we had extra people to rescue things when they went wrong. This season, we will simply have to do less things wrong imo.

I don't think that 11, is a well enough balanced team & shouldn't play very often.

The midfield 3 of rodri d.silva and gudongan is more of a controlling 3 there is not much pace there to do the press which we need that midfield 3 is more suited to home games for me rodri needs kdb and 1 of bernardo or foden around him in these tough away games or at least 1 with good legs.

Last season with Laporte & Vinny available, we had extra people to rescue things when they went wrong. This season, we will simply have to do less things wrong imo.

I don't think that 11, is a well enough balanced team & shouldn't play very often.
It would seem to me that we gambled that Kompany would stay(we seem to no longer make knee-jerk signings, I'm not saying that's a bad thing!!!), when that didn't happen they gambled again that we could "get by" with three, now we are down to one, so really it's a whole new ball game

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.