#47 | Phil Foden - 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
We didn't dispense with him and make a big mistake,he was 17 demanding game time and chose to leave,time people got over it
I mean, you're the one who goes from thread to thread litigating how overrated he is and it totally wasn't a mistake to let him go. At the time selling him for what we did was a reasonable outcome, but when someone leaves and 18 months later becomes worth 10x what we got for him, it's fair to ask questions.

I mean, you're the one who goes from thread to thread litigating how overrated he is and it totally wasn't a mistake to let him go. At the time selling him for what we did was a reasonable outcome, but when someone leaves and 18 months later becomes worth 10x what we got for him, it's fair to ask questions.
Ah...hindsight

Again,do you think it is sensible to guarntee first team action to a 17yr old who had never played in the first team(i think)and who out of our mega talented squad would you leave out for him? he is doing ok but just ok

Pep said he wouldn't be fit for tomorrow,i wouldn't put a lot of faith in one piece of gossip,if there was a row on the training ground that happens all the time

Casts massive doubt on that being a tummy bug then.

All it comes back to is either:

A) "He wanted to leave us." Probably because he knew we wouldn't give him a chance.

B) "He wouldn't be worth that much if he stayed with us." Probably because we wouldn't have given him a chance.

Because of the complexity of the situation, I'd still find it hard to call it a mistake in isolation. But I think it says something about our approach which we have to address to either keep future international stars or sell them for what they're worth.

Again,do you think it is sensible to guarntee first team action to a 17yr old who had never played in the first team(i think)and who out of our mega talented squad would you leave out for him? he is doing ok but just ok
No I don't, no one is guaranteed time. What we need to do is foster an environment where mega talented youngsters like him, like say Phil Foden, will reasonably expect to be given a shot if they stay and work for it, even when it isn't guaranteed, which we haven't done and which is why people come into this thread and worry about Foden's playing time only a month into the season. Focusing on the specifics of why Sancho left is a mistake because he didn't leave for one reason, he left because our track record in this area is shit and it doesn't seem like we're doing anything to fix it.

The only reason the media care about sancho was that he left us,if he left any other team they wouldn't have even noticed,they used him to bash us with,the hype they created is the reason he has a ridiculous price tag on him,i wish people would stop lumping him in with phil,phil is with the most successful team in the last 10yrs in england,sancho is doing ok at dortmund,none of the kids we have lost have turned out to be anything special,phil is here for the long term,he still has much to learn,he will get more mins this season then get daves spot,jesus have some patience,pep is getting players like kev,bernie etc sharp and match fit,they take president

Sancho is one of the best young players in the world, a starter for the national team with a price tag of 120m+, Foden is a talented younger player with that potential but is unproven. The key difference is that Sancho left us and Foden stayed. This isn't even this particular case, we've seen this story play out for years now. We've not managed to successfully integrate one youth player as a consistent first team player, 'patience' when a player is good enough isn't an excuse anymore. The truth is the only reason Foden is still here is because he loves the club, no other elite youth player would be prepared to be here knowing the lack of opportunities they are afforded.

No I don't, no one is guaranteed time. What we need to do is foster an environment where mega talented youngsters like him, like say Phil Foden, will reasonably expect to be given a shot if they stay and work for it, even when it isn't guaranteed, which we haven't done and which is why people come into this thread and worry about Foden's playing time only a month into the season. Focusing on the specifics of why Sancho left is a mistake because he didn't leave for one reason, he left because our track record in this area is shit and it doesn't seem like we're doing anything to fix it.
Kev said phil got more mins last 2 seasons that he got at his age,we are still getting our senior players fit after a shit pre-season and 8 of them being away in the summer,we are FIVE games in,it's sept,there is no need to panic about his minutes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.