Thomas Cook

Who goes into a travel agents these days to book a holiday? 590 shops they had, need to move with the times or become obsolete fast.

I agree with what you say,but you got to think of the old school brigade,who have booked their holidays that way for years and years,those who don't do "online",you get what I mean,but must admit 590 shops seems a few too many.

I know some people can't help but turn this into a political argument but I'm not sure it's as simple as that. Weren't TC bailed out several months ago (by the Chinese IIRC)? For a company who posted half-yearly losses of £1.5 billion back in May, putting £200 million in more than likely just fills a big gaping hole for a while, before it all goes tits up again. With figures like that, you can't just keep throwing good money after bad.

I will add that I feel for everyone who is employed by them and for all those who have flights and holidays booked with them. I didn't realise flight only bookings aren't protected in the same way as holidays are. Hopefully everyone gets their money back, but even then it doesn't compensate for having your holiday cancelled when you've looked forward to it all year.

Not quite right ... IIRC the Chinese takeover by FOSUN wasn't completed and was reliant on the additional £200 million. The point I was trying to make was

• Underwrite the £200 million

• Get someone to go through the books forensically

• If there's no future... stop taking bookings

• If there is a future then reorganise the company to face it.

• In the interim use the existing fleet and staff to bring all the holiday makers home .

• Instead the Government will have to shore Up the ATOL fund and pay exorbitant prices to other airlines to bring people back (like they did with Monarch - where all they had to do was underwrite the renewal of the CAA licence) at an anticipated cost of £600 million to the taxpayer.

Bearing in mind Thomas Cook have said a number of their problems are down to Brexit, give them another six months should see us through that.

But to do any of the above would take bravery and vision.

Not quite right ... IIRC the Chinese takeover by FOSUN wasn't completed and was reliant on the additional £200 million. The point I was trying to make was

• In the interim use the existing fleet and staff to bring all the holiday makers home .

• Instead the Government will have to shore Up the ATOL fund and pay exorbitant prices to other airlines to bring people back (like they did with Monarch - where all they had to do was underwrite the renewal of the CAA licence) at an anticipated cost of £600 million to the taxpayer.

Bearing in mind Thomas Cook have said a number of their problems are down to Brexit, give them another six months should see us through that.

Fair enough about the Fosun deal not going through, but aren't they saying it's now £100 million to get everyone home?

TC have had problems for years, and while I'm not saying it's had no impact, blaming Brexit is just deflection tactics. It seems to me that a lot of their issues are down to mismanagement

Oh if only it was that simple. What does the government do when Jet 2 say they are in financial trouble quickly followed by TUI ? do they then bail these companies out ? Thomas Cook has been poorly run for over 12 months, they are going under because of poor customer service, not keeping up with changing market place and poor business strategy in relation to destinations (Egypt and turkey being the obvious ones)

Oh if only it was that simple. What does the government do when Jet 2 say they are in financial trouble quickly followed by TUI ? do they then bail these companies out ? Thomas Cook has been poorly run for over 12 months, they are going under because of poor customer service, not keeping up with changing market place and poor business strategy in relation to destinations (Egypt and turkey being the obvious ones)

They adopt the same approach ... fund the airline until such time as everyone is back home ... stop lining the pockets of other companies using taxpayers cash .

They just announced on BBC News that they had 500,000 of forward bookings.

Just seen on the news that passengers on an overnight flight back from Vegas who all heard the news part way through their flight had a whip round for all the crew on that flight who understandably were devastated.
Nice to see these kind of gestures at a time of great anxiety for a lot of people

Indeed. My boss has just got back from a few days away at his house in Spain. The recent floods over there have been covered in the media over here but what has gone under the radar is that some locals have seen their entire homes washed away, and they've literally lost everything. Yesterday, he said there was a fundraising event organised by the ex-Pat community and a Spanish charity. The ex-Pats don't always get a great press but there was a fantastic turnout for this and over 10,000 Euro was raised.

correct ^^^ previous CEOs have bled over 30 million from TCs accounts,these people should be jailed and have their assets frozen and sold off, so going bust becomes profitable for corporate greed if the government bail them out

Talkragshite reporting a bomb scare at Manchester, someone pissed off and left luggage?

Edit* A quick Google search and again talkragshite have only part of a story, it's the train station, flights as normal.

They adopt the same approach ... fund the airline until such time as everyone is back home ... stop lining the pockets of other companies using taxpayers cash .

They just announced on BBC News that they had 500,000 of forward bookings.
Which begs the question.... how the fuck have they managed to get themselves into such a mess? Trying to run 590 high street stores in this day and age certainly can't have helped matters!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.