Bernardo Silva tweet controversy

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think its the fact that he posted the picture of a black cartoon character. It's the fact that the cartoon character has the same exaggerated features of the very negative racial stereotypes as things like the golliwog/minstrel show characters. Someone correct me if im wrong there...

You're not but we've already had people explaining to us why blackface isn't offensive and how household pets used to be named after racial slurs. It's been one of those threads.

Because if it is indeed a joke between friends, and Mendy is in on it, then if you don’t make the joke based purely on Mendy’s race, is that not racism? If they joke about Kev, or Zinchenko or whoever, then not joking about Mendy would surely be treating him differently based purely on the colour of his skin. That’s racism.
I’m sure Mendy, Bernardo or indeed 99% of the population had no idea of the origin of the cartoon character.
So it’s a joke based on similarities, and you don’t crack it, are you treating Mendy differently?

It’s a difficult one. It’s also a very silly tweet in today’s world.

I agree with the above with a minor amendment to the final paragraph. To me it’s a benign tweet in a silly world. Whether it was funny is entirely subjective. It didn’t have me laughing but neither could I see any offence in it. It is clearly not racist in any way however, the classic straw man position has been adopted. It is being portrayed and described as such in certain quarters which instills that fact in many mindsets and then the angle is what to do about BS. If you go back to the primary issue was it racist then the debate on fact ends there. Unfortunately, there are many for differing reasons or agendas who don’t want the debate to end and as a result there is little scale, rational or common sense applied. Every incident gets lumped together in the same box.

Why would I have to when the dictionary does it for me?

Which dictionary would that be?

Discrimination, antagonism or prejudice based on race or religion

You dont need to think or declare you are superior to be racist to someone.

Bernardo was foolish with that but it's not such a big deal as his intention wasn't racist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.