Bernardo Silva tweet controversy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aside from the media POV, would I be allowed to feel 'uncomfortable' with it, Bill...?
Knowing you and you knowing the player involved I'd say you'd see it for what it is, a harmless piece of banter between two mates, ill advised in todays climate maybe but made without a sniff of racism. Surely if the character was disrespectful or racist it would never see the light of day.

I believe that he absolutely thought it was NOT an issue, or he wouldn’t have done it. He is a young guy who has grown up in a bubble....first in Portugal, where this is clearly not an issue, then in Monaco, where it clearly wouldn’t have been an issue, and now hypersensitive Britain, where it isn’t an issue to the two guys involved, who have grown up together during their adult lives, first in Monaco, then here!

I’m always amazed when the person who is supposedly victimized says they have not been victimized, then some NGO, quasi-authoritarian organization decides they know better than the victim and demand punishment for no offense meant or taken!!!

Mendy: I wasn’t offended!
KIO: Listen, we will tell you whether you were offended or not, not you! WE are the arbiters of what is and is not offensive, and will be offended FOR you! After all, maybe you are under duress....blink once for OK, twice for HELP! GET ME OUT OF HERE!, but smile if you’d just like us to fuck off and leave you alone!!!
Mendy: Blinks once and smiles, while taking a selfie for this Instagram moment, as KIO runs away into the distance in the background!

*sigh*

It doesn't work like that outside of your Ivory Tower on racism.

And I like you, but you're well short sighted on this.

'People aren’t looking to learn from Barnes, but instead hear something which soothes their qualms and makes them feel their own behaviour is more acceptable. His work allows those who never seek to understand the cause, function and power of racism to go about their day.'

This is from a piece a couple of days ago by Carl Anka in The Athletic.

Barnes, who effectively told Jadon Sancho to shut up because he's not experienced real racial discrimination and defended Peter Beardsley as having a bit of banter, speaks for himself and not many others.

He's a man who, for whatever reason, has been selected as Sky Sports' mouthpiece whenever they need to wheel out a black man to get a certain take on a certain topic. The fact that he's in a privileged enough position where he can lie in his nice bed in his nice house and give these statements live on the news about Sancho not experiencing real racism because he's a privileged footballer reminds me of the equally tone deaf quotes from Samuel L. Jackson on Daniel Kaluuya a couple of years back.

John Barnes isn't a spokesperson for black people and he's not particularly sharp either. Some agree with him and many don't but, either way, I really wouldn't be using him as a yardstick for reason on the issue.

But I appreciate certain people want to see him as a full stop on the discussion.

Barnes should considered a charlie 'Chalky' Williams' from the comedy world, a #BlacksforTrump2020 voter behind the 45 podium or even a Candace Owens in more modern parlance...

Knowing you and you knowing the player involved I'd say you'd see it for what it is, a harmless piece of banter between two mates, ill advised in todays climate maybe but made without a sniff of racism. Surely if the character was disrespectful or racist it would never see the light of day.

The 'character' aside, I agree with your post.

Not knowing about how racism works is ignorance of the highest order.

He should have kept it private.

Jesus. What a world I live in nowadays.

Human 846463 signing out “Thank you fellow humans, if you do not identify as a human, then please accept my utmost apologies”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.