Bernardo Silva charged with misconduct by FA

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think I've ever seen an argument on this forum where there's so clearly two sides, arguing back and forth over multiple 100 page threads, and yet one of the sides refuses to believe there's any other acceptable opinion than their own.

This keep it to yourself line seems lovely, but it ignores the fact he's done absolutely nothing wrong legally or in his intent. Are we now saying nobody should be "mistakenly" offended?

Whatever his intent, which I don't think is malicious at all, the lazy act of posting that picture in view of millions perpetuates a racist stereotype. That in itself is wrong, whether you like it or not, and something someone in full public view, representing an organisation like ours that tries to staunchly stand against all forms of racism, should not be doing online.

Should he punished severely for it? No, I definitely don't think he should. A slap on the wrist and some education about it should suffice IMO.

Stupid or innocent?

He comes from a country where that picture is the norm to a country where there is zero tolerance (Unless you're the PM likening Burkas to letterboxes). He's now being charged with having done something racist.... And that charge will stick with him (And City) for life. Totally unfair for him to get that around his neck for an innocent thing.

Out of all of this the only victim is Bernardo imo.

I'd have to say stupid. Just because it's accepted and normalised in Portugal doesn't change the fact that it is bordering on racism. I think it's fair to imply that countries like Spain and Portugal have quite a large issue with racism (remember SWP playing for England in Spain/Mario Balotelli in Porto).

I don't think Bernardo is a racist, I just think he's naïve. You're correct that he shouldn't have the label stick with him for life.

Whatever his intent, which I don't think is malicious at all, the lazy act of posting that picture in view of millions perpetuates a racist stereotype. That in itself is wrong, whether you like it or not, and something someone in full public view, representing an organisation like ours that tries to staunchly stand against all forms of racism, should not be doing online.

Should he punished severely for it? No, I definitely don't think it should. A slap on the wrist and some education about should suffice IMO.
Couldn't disagree more.
Just seen another "he's not racist but......" post, saying it's akin to comparing a black man to a golly.... analogy - is that the level now? I know it wasn't you but going to work before blood pressure kills me.

I don't think I've ever seen an argument on this forum where there's so clearly two sides, arguing back and forth over multiple 100 page threads, and yet one of the sides refuses to believe there's any other acceptable opinion than their own.

That's normally you,are you chilling a bit now you getting older and wiser then ?

Should he punished severely for it? No, I definitely don't think he should. A slap on the wrist and some education about it should suffice IMO.
Well said.

Whilst I agree - the fact is a number of country’s do have it on their shelves and those countries include Portugal. Remind me where Bernardo is from? All he is guilty of is not understanding over sensitivity of “always offended” people in the UK.

I think it's a bit of a kop out saying 'He's from a community that has issues with racism, so we should accept he might be slightly racist at times'.

We were all annoyed when Mario had monkey chants aimed at him by Porto fans. We need to stand up to it, not normalise or accept it.

It's tough cause he's just having a joke with his mate. There's clearly no attempt to upset Mendy. But he needs to realise some things are better said away from social media.

This.

It's annoying because we all know he isn't an out and out racist but unfortunately he comes from a country (or next to one) that still sees no problem with the character they are using to advertise their product. As a result he sees no problem with it. Some of us felt the same about the Robinsons jam character back in the day but by and large we accept it now for what it was, probably/arguably innocent but not appropriate.
These are British society's conventions. It should not make you a racist for breaking them, but it probably makes you a foreigner. Should a man who speaks 5 languages be educated in British conventions? No. What good do they serve other than to bring one person into line with expectations of behaviour.

Britain regards itself as the oldest democracy and the home of freedom, but it is actually a very regimented society, far more so than other Western European states. You might get bashed indiscriminately on the head by a riot cop on the continent, but unlikely that your address, and everything about you is monitored to the same extent. That is my impression anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.