Pep Guardiola - 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cheers. I was aware she had gone back but I thought that was a quick trip for a business concern.

The report was she has gone back for 3 months. Perhaps she is fine in Manchester but if not then that could dictate how long he stays here.

If you look at Spain, the Guardiola effect of needing 95+ points to win the league carried on for 4 or 5 years after he left.

As for not getting worse, I don't think Klopp is a uniquely talented manager. He's not Pep or Mourinho. If he can match Pep's number of points and goals scored/conceded etc. then I think there's a few out there who could.

Well, if I can be pedantic, it carried on for one season really. The season after, where they romped to the league with 100 points. After that the standard has dropped and no one's broken 94 points since then. Still high, yeah, but a minor drop off. Not the Guardiola 95-100 points era anyway. It's won between 90-94 now, which is a couple of wins lower. And last season even lower with just 87 needed. Given that Real and Barca have both already dropped loads of points this season, i'd not expect it to be much higher than that again. You could argue that that era has mostly disappeared now.

It's probably not a coincidence that big drop off last year has coincided with both major clubs needing a vast revamp in terms of their squad, as I think it was just their vastly superior squads carrying them anyway. Guardiola created the greatest club side we've possibly ever seen. Madrid had to significantly raise their game to match and both sides had quite possibly the two best players in the history of the game in Messi and Ronaldo who had an ability to win games on their own. Plus loads of other brilliant stars at their peak. There was a huge, huge financial divide too between them and the rest of the league. Unsurprisingly, the levels have fallen as lots of the key players in those sides aged and neither have managers capable of dragging them back up to those standards.

I don't think the City/Liverpool thing is quite the same personally. I think both of our squads will be a little rudderless comparatively without the people that make them tick (Guardiola/Klopp) for a varying reasons such as not having a Messi/Ronaldo, Pep not being round long enough to fully oversee the post Kompany/Silva/Kun etc transition. Despite all the money in the game, it took Pep's arrival to raise the PL to his standards. Klopp's Liverpool followed it, yep, but I hand on heart believe that both will see an eventual decline to something in the high 80s again. I certainly can't see any manager that's capable of coming in and keeping up Pep's standards.

Last edited:
Gen Q - who else do you hold in such high esteem?

Sorry I didn't realise Pep was the be all and end all, life will go on without him when he does leave. I'm just hoping when he does he'll leave the club in a position with the right personnel to carry the club forward and I have no doubts he will do just that.

For what it's worth, I think we'll be fine after Pep. He is undoubtedly a genius, and among the best to ever do it, but football is always evolving and there is always a next generation which takes and builds on the concepts of the prior. For me the most important thing Pep brought us beyond his system is a culture shift and a massive raise of the previous standards. If we hire Arteta, or someone like Marcelo Gallardo from River, I'm confident that we've now put an infrastructure in place to continue and build on what Pep did, and what Txiki and Ferran started years ago.

It's also difficult to compare what happened after he left in Barcelona and Bayern to what we should expect. Barcelona was in need of a mini refresh, and who knows what would've happened had Tito Vilanova not gotten sick. Bayen hired Ancelotti for some reason.

Sorry I didn't realise Pep was the be all and end all, life will go on without him when he does leave. I'm just hoping when he does he'll leave the club in a position with the right personnel to carry the club forward and I have no doubts he will do just that.
Your post stated you believed there was another manager of similar esteem as Pep - simply asking you who that was

Your post stated you believed there was another manager of similar esteem as Pep - simply asking you who that was

Think you'll find my post stated that I believed pep won't be here next season, had nothing to do with any other managers with similar esteem to him. Looks as if arteta is lined up to eventually replace him but right now we're all in the dark on that one

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.