US diplomat wife flees UK after killing teen - not coming back

This is where the British public are shit though. People will care to the extent that it doesn't impact their life in any way. Where's the campaign to boycott US commercial products until justice is done, for example? Instead, what we've got is a bunch of people going onto Twitter to moan, ironically making more money for a huge US company. I wonder how quickly she'd face justice if for example everyone decided that as a protest they would cancel their subscriptions to various American-owned streaming services? Hell, in Asia when there's a diplomatic dispute, having a car from the wrong country can make it difficult for you to fill it up a petrol stations. I'm not saying that's a good thing, but we're living in a world where the only thing that makes a difference (as we've seen in China this week) is a threat to profits.

I believe it's the main communications hub for the USAF in Western Europe and probably has significant intelligence gathering capabilities as well. It's probably the military equivalent of the NSA's Menwith Hill intercept station in North Yorkshire, which is also laughingly described as an "RAF base".

Having said that, I've driven extensively in the USA and it's easy enough when you're on the road itself. The danger time is when you're pulling out of a petrol station or diner car park onto the road or just turning (particularly left turns) and your natural instinct is to go to the left hand side of the road. Happened to me a couple of times in Arizona and I saw a car heading towards me on a side road. This is a real tragedy but I can understand why it happened.
It is as you said a tragic accident if she had co-operated with the police she might not have been charged

Nothing to do with it, many many countries have used diplomatic immunity to shield their own citizens. I don't agree in the concept of it but it's there to protect foreign governmental workers sited in what we call bad countries.
That's all true but immunity can be waved and that is what you would expect from a 'friendly' country. Yet again the USA demonstrates that the 'Special Relationship' is a one way street. In this case a slight disruption to the life of a US citizen is infinitely more important than ending the life of a UK one.

I believe it's the main communications hub for the USAF in Western Europe and probably has significant intelligence gathering capabilities as well. It's probably the military equivalent of the NSA's Menwith Hill intercept station in North Yorkshire, which is also laughingly described as an "RAF base".

Having said that, I've driven extensively in the USA and it's easy enough when you're on the road itself. The danger time is when you're pulling out of a petrol station or diner car park onto the road or just turning (particularly left turns) and your natural instinct is to go to the left hand side of the road. Happened to me a couple of times in Arizona and I saw a car heading towards me on a side road. This is a real tragedy but I can understand why it happened.
And...the roads in Limeyland suck balls

That's all true but immunity can be waved and that is what you would expect from a 'friendly' country. Yet again the USA demonstrates that the 'Special Relationship' is a one way street. In this case a slight disruption to the life of a US citizen is infinitely more important than ending the life of a UK one.

I can't agree more it's abhorrent but special relationships don't exist either with the US or the EU.

Government are spineless. Too scared of a glorified reality tv host to get justice for their own citizens. Disgusting.
You'd have thought with the "special relationship" something more would have been done to get justice for the family.
We should apply for extradition ( even if it is refused) if only to make a point.
Oh hang on, we need a trade deal.

When I was a kid growing up over there my Dad was USAF at several bases. He has loads of stories of drunken GI's driving into ditches and generally causing havoc in the countryside. I think it's way less of a problem now( obviously there are fewer service men over there) but it's been going on for years.
In this case I do think the US should hand her over but very much doubt they will

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-northamptonshire-49995867

Another sad twist to this story as Trumps note leaked that they wont be handing the killer of Harry Dunn back to the UK for charges.

What a disgrace all round and very sad for his family. His poor mother said she would of forgiven at the time but running she cannot accept.

Lets see if Raab has the stones to stand up and make a point about this or just roll over...

What do you expect him to do? They'll have asked but that about it, not like he's going to go round to her house and bundle her into the back of his car and smuggle her back is it?

The wouldn't even need to hand her over, just allow her to face a trial in America. But they won't because like when a police officer is obviously guilty of a crime, they just protect their own.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.