Ray Goble

Gary James

I was told the sad news yesterday that Ray Goble has died. Most people won't know who Ray is but all City fans owe him a debt of gratitude. Ray was one of three statisticians/historians who welcomed me into their research community in the 1980s (the others were John Maddocks and Dennis Chapman). Between them these three men discovered the lineups & match details for all City's games from foundation onwards. They achieved this by researching original newspapers in archives in, often, restricted spaces. I joined them and added my own research but it was these men who provided the material that today forms part of the Bluemoon history database: https://bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/History/Matches/Default.aspx and EVERY statistical record on MCFC that appears ANYWHERE whether that be in print or online.

Ray, in particular, produced the first MCFC Complete Record book in 1987 - prior to that match data on our club simply did not exist in the public domain at all. I was fortunate in 2005 when Ray gave me his permission to produce my own version of his classic work.

Ray had not been well for a while and, according to his wife, he was in so much pain recently that death was a relief in the end. Obviously, Ray's death saddens me personally but it does give us one last opportunity to thank him and his family for all of his work over the years. Ray was the last of the club's elder historians/statisticians. Together with John & Dennis he inspired me enormously and supported my own research. Without them my own work would be so much poorer. In addition, without their efforts we may still be in the dark about lineups and attendances from our past.

Thanks Ray for all you've done for me but, most importantly, for your efforts in cataloguing and uncovering Manchester City's history. It really is appreciated.

Sad news.

I've got Ray's book and it's invaluable if you ever want any information about games, teams, etc before 1985. The great thing is that it's all one one page per season so easy to see who was top scorer, how many games each player played, the crowds, etc. You can't really see all that at a glance on here.

I was one of the subscribers to Ray's Complete Record when it was first published, it was clearly a meticulous labour of love and an invaluable reference book for any City supporter.

RIP
Agreed.I also have the original first publication of Rays book..among the list of subscribers are quite a few long standing blues I've got to know over the years ..along with some very well known names Inc Gary, Kevin Cummins Tommy Muir ,Michael Horwich M.Howard Frank Horrocks, Roy Clarke Frank Newton ,Dave Wallace and the very last name is Joe Mercer OBE.

This book was my 'bible' during my early days of being a match going Blue. .full of stats and info on days gone by..spent hours studying it .ready to quote stuff to shut fans of other teams up when they laughed at City.
Very sad news to hear of Rays passing..an incredibly important part of our history.
The name that stands out most in the list of subscribers is one Jacquline Heap..I've got to know Jackie (and her daughter Sharon and partner Carl))really well over the years a top top Blue who back in the late 8Os was the first person id spoken to who was at St James Park to see us win the league title in May 1968.I used to love hearing her accounts of that day
Rest in Peace Ray Goble. .your work will never ever be forgotten ..esp by me.The book was handed to me as a leaving present by a load if ex work colleagues from back in the day ..when i never missed a matchhome or away.. signed at the front by old work colleagues....with the list of city subscribers at the end ..some of whom I was to meet in the future...

A Fantastic book and I'm glad Gary James. you record your thanks and sense of importance attributable to this historic publication.

Sadly, it's not up to me. I only contribute a Timeline piece these days.
Please write one and send it in. Or walk over to whichever office at the Etihad makes such decisions and hand it to them, can't see that they'd refuse.
Agree it's a fine book, got a copy 20 years ago and still look things up in it thanks to its easy layout of one page per season as someone else has said.

R.I.P. Mr Goble, thank you for your research.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.