Glasgow ... WOW very surprised.

Wife went to see her in Manchester shortly after the show started she stopped singing and addressed the audience - "I've not come to hear you fucking lot sing, you have all come to see me so shut the fuck up".

Absolutely charming lady!
You can take the woman out or Scotland......

Biased I know but not as much to see in Glasgow compared to Edinburgh
But loads of good music places and Finniston area has some cracking bars and restaurants

I love Glasgow, wonderful city, great people and characters. I do think many (not all) of the people who slag Glasgow off are ones who have never been but go by its reputation. I actually prefer Glasgow to Edinburgh, feels more real and gritty.

I like Liverpool too, wonderful city and what I like is that it still feels like Liverpool, its full of Scousers and everywhere you go there are Scouse accents, one of our cities which hasn't lost it's identity

Just returned from a 3 day stay in Glasgow and must say how wonderful it was.
My bucket list contained seeing the wonderful Annie Lennox,who could sing from a telephone directory and get a massive hit,so to see her in her native country was brilliant.
However,I was amazed at how lovely the city actually is and nowhere as dirty as I imagined.
OK we did the bus tour and we maybe didn`t "hit" the eyesores,but then again who doesn`t have those tucked away.Seen plenty of those around Manchester.
The people were great and we will certainly go back again.
Well done Glasgow.

My home outside of Manchester, for family reasons

You either get the Glaswegian mantra or it passes you by

A spade is a spade

just to add a bit more credit to modern Glasgow, compare it to what it was like in for instance, the sixties. A front page picture in the Mirror of a policeman swaying back from a wild swing of a cut-throat razor by a thug, prompted the paper to do an article on the "no-go areas" , no-go for anyone in uniform or taxis and buses. Which meant talking to people who had "permission" to pass through the turf's of the street gangs, often church or charity based. For residents, particularly kids, it was "be in a gang or else". Paying protection money and loansharking were a fact of life, the level of violence equal to any city in the world, at the time, and those who ruled were as ruthless as any in the ghettoes. Unimaginable at the time that it could ever recover. A former judge wrote a book about his time in Glasgow, "The belt the bottle and the razor", prompted by the prevalence of facial scars on those he was dealing with. A consequence of the conditions in the city was youngsters would enlist in the army, as the only way out, which in turn led to the Scottish regiments e.g. The Black Watch being labelled "the poison dwarves" by the German people , who dreaded their tour of duty , as violence was inevitable in pubs and public places, "short soldiers with an even shorter temper and a fondness for whisky", as a Nato general was reported as saying.
The film Small Faces does a good job of reflecting the 60s razor gang culture , worth seeing if you haven’t already

Just returned from a 3 day stay in Glasgow and must say how wonderful it was.
My bucket list contained seeing the wonderful Annie Lennox,who could sing from a telephone directory and get a massive hit,so to see her in her native country was brilliant.
However,I was amazed at how lovely the city actually is and nowhere as dirty as I imagined.
OK we did the bus tour and we maybe didn`t "hit" the eyesores,but then again who doesn`t have those tucked away.Seen plenty of those around Manchester.
The people were great and we will certainly go back again.
Well done Glasgow.

It’s a brilliant city. Some really good boozers to while the afternoon and evening away. Haven’t been for about 5 years but have some fond memories of great food and great nights out.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.