Ilkay Gundogan - 2019/20 Performances

• Thread starter Deleted member 81382
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't let a bit of thinking get in the way of simplistic explanations though. It's so much easier to blame Gundogan and Pep's inability to see how incredibly limited he is for our bad results.

If I knew how to I'd put that round of applause gif here.

Again, what makes you sure you know better? What helps you identify Gundogan's weaknesses better than the manager who sees him in games and training for several years now?

Because the results are unsatisfactory, there must be a simple explanation, the simple explanation must be related to a single player and there is no better candidate for that player in midfield and attack than Gundogan, right? Have you entertained the possibility that things might be much more complex than that and that Pep factors in circumstances you have no idea about? Maybe he knows what's wrong with our performances this season. And that the reasons for them are not down simply to 1-2 players and go deeper: the fact hat we have injuries, aging legends, have won 7 from the last 8 trophies on offer in England and the motivation is not quite the same or a bit of mental tiredness is kreeping in, or we were also a bit unlucky to concede 5 goals from 7 shots on target against Spurs and Norwich, etc. etc.?

Don't let a bit of thinking get in the way of simplistic explanations though. It's so much easier to blame Gundogan and Pep's inability to see how incredibly limited he is for our bad results.
No ones saying Gundogan is solely to blame for the poor results but he's certainly a part of the problem. he is just too slow, negative in his passing (always a safe pass sideways or backwards) and non combative. Still Pep likes him so that's the end of the argument.

So you don't believe they've performed poorly in any games this season? They've produced a consistent level of performance so far?

in the context of the debate, maybe you should have looked over a longer period? Much longer.

Sometimes better to admit you over-egged it rather than keep digging.

No ones saying Gundogan is solely to blame for the poor results but he's certainly a part of the problem. he is just too slow, negative in his passing (always a safe pass sideways or backwards) and non combative. Still Pep likes him so that's the end of the argument.

Maybe he is instructed to play it safely now that we have problems at CB. I'm not a big Gundogan fan nor do I think Pep is faultless. I'm just trying to keep some perspective. There is no need to vilify some players or to question Pep after those fantastic two seasons. Pep and the players want to win every game more than most of us. They are only human though and might lose even when they give their best. I think we are going to have a great season after all and those early losses will help Pep and the players later in the season.

in the context of the debate, maybe you should have looked over a longer period? Much longer.

Sometimes better to admit you over-egged it rather than keep digging.

I'm in no way denying they both have been more consistent over their City careers than Gundogan has.

I just believe it's unfair that he is getting singled out when our problems expand far beyond his mixed bag so far this season.

I'm in no way denying they both have been more consistent over their City careers than Gundogan has.

I just believe it's unfair that he is getting singled out when our problems expand far beyond his mixed bag so far this season.

Yeah, you have a point but my point is that some have a lot more brownie points in the bank than others. Unfortunately - and despite a very good contribution to last season’s run-in - Gundo is one of “the others”. He just hasn’t done enough over the 3+ years to win over everybody’s hearts and minds.

Don’t mind him playing but not virtually every week. He was mediocre again today and like a headless chicken at the end.
Got to think that his regularity in the team is holding Foden back.

Don’t mind him playing but not virtually every week. He was mediocre again today and like a headless chicken at the end.
Got to think that his regularity in the team is holding Foden back.

Pep is more fond of him than plenty of Bluemoon posters , that's for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.