Learning the Guitar

I have been playing for circa 20 years but I'm not that great. I think you either have a musical ability or you don't - If you don't then it is hard yards and you have to work much harder to get good.

Hello, just seeing if anyone else started late ( I’m 41 ) or if anyone who plays has any good tips advice on beginners ?

I have never played a note of anything in my life :)

I can't stress this highly enough. Have a bit of fun by all means but if you want to play to even a basic standard you must get some decent lessons. A good tutor will get you to understand the correct techniques for playing that you will need every time you play. For example, your thumb should be on the centre line of the neck when playing and not wrapped over the top of the neck as you see many players do.

Getting this wrong on day one will mean you'll probably go on playing in this way forever or you'll have a hell of a job putting it right. Just getting this fairly simple thing correct will mean you have the right technique in place as you move on through more complex challenges later in your playing.

Good luck

I can't stress this highly enough. Have a bit of fun by all means but if you want to play to even a basic standard you must get some decent lessons. A good tutor will get you to understand the correct techniques for playing that you will need every time you play. For example, your thumb should be on the centre line of the neck when playing and not wrapped over the top of the neck as you see many players do.

Getting this wrong on day one will mean you'll probably go on playing in this way forever or you'll have a hell of a job putting it right. Just getting this fairly simple thing correct will mean you have the right technique in place as you move on through more complex challenges later in your playing.

Good luck
Thank you, yes I’ve got block lessons booked with a tutor

Good luck

Like this?

jimi-hendrix-700x366.jpg

I know this is a really obvious thing to suggest but I'd definitely get lessons.

I had lessons when I was about 9/10 and gave myself a good base for knowing chord shapes but fucked it off by the time I was 11/12. Started again when I was 13/14 but by then there was loads of tabs on the internet and I've sorta blagged it that way since if I've ever wanted to learn any songs. A lad I know who started lessons at 13/14 round the same time as me and stuck at it, he is absolutely brilliant now and I'm able to play a bit but nowhere near as good as I should be.

Like this?

jimi-hendrix-700x366.jpg

Absolutely that. I know who it is but believe me that is totally wrong. It's was obviously no problem to Jimi playing his style of music, but if you want to play other styles, you'll never do it with your hand like that.

You might not want to play music like Cavatina, but you'll struggle to play more complex chord shapes and the more demanding parts for your fretting hand if you strangle the neck like that. Watch John Williams as an example

Absolutely that. I know who it is but believe me that is totally wrong. It's was obviously no problem to Jimi playing his style of music, but if you want to play other styles, you'll never do it with your hand like that.

You might not want to play music like Cavatina, but you'll struggle to play more complex chord shapes and the more demanding parts for your fretting hand if you strangle the neck like that. Watch John Williams as an example

Seemingly effortless but incredibly beautiful.

Humans are incredible at times.

I have been playing for circa 20 years but I'm not that great. I think you either have a musical ability or you don't - If you don't then it is hard yards and you have to work much harder to get good.

That's the way I see it. I learnt for years and years and struggled to progress and couldn't play anything by ear. One of my mates decided to take it up on a whim and in under a year he was fucking amazing and was part of a band. You either have it or you don't.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.