Self service tills in supermarkets.

There are some real dinosaurs in the world. Technology is exponential and we have never faced the changes coming on such a grand scale so quickly.
5 years- Driverless Cars = Uber and Taxi Drivers out of work in the next 5 years.
10 Years Driverless Trucks = Haulage drivers gone.
11 Years Road accidents all but wiped out - Paramedic numbers fall drastically = strain on blood banks reduced, world wide shortage of Organ donors (Yes road deaths account for a very large % of them)
15 Years Universal Basic Income introduced in many countries, Working hours drastically reduced, job share. No economy can survive with the collapse of the transport industry, none.
All that is just autonomous cars and the transport industry let alone other areas.

And some people won't use self service tills.

Why will there be no taxis?

Being pissed in charge of a driverless car will still be an offence.

I go in Tesco at 6.00 am a few mornings a week. Nobody is ever behind the till. I have been told by shop assistants a few times to use the self service tills. " No I don't want to you serve me please" Not one of them has refused to but I do see the anger in a few of them at having to serve me.

That’s fair enough. However, I don’t understand the concept of small talk and seldom buy more than 10 products at a time anyway.

I agree small talk is horrendous Dr Jacoby and should be outlawed in the next manifesto. We are going to Blackpool again in November for the wife's birthday bash and we are both so anti-small talk that we are going to the big blue hotel instead. A bigger hotel allows you to eat breakfast and lose yourself without the incessant diatribe of social etiquette.. Truly masochistic in the making and if this is what hell is like then I am doing church this Sunday. So imagine the scene it's a small English B and B and down you go into the antiquated breakfast room stinking of moth balls with eight tables set for 4 in a 50 square foot set up covered in frills and doileys ..You sit down and then two Dougie and Jeannies from Doncaster sit down next to you and you think ohh fuckity fook please no ..god no no no ! .. And then it's silence for a long piercing 15 seconds before one of them opens up out of embarrassment and says are you enjoying your holiday ? ...So you try to open your eyes that have refilled with shovel fulls of sleep and look remotely interested and say ..yes thanks ..yourself ? ..And so the pain continues through breakfast as they chudder ...oh yes Norman and I come here twice a year and they cant do enough for you and what are you doing today and have you ever been on a tram or mounted a donkey or visited a rock factory and to be honest I just genuinely want to scream out as I chew on my hash browns but nothing will come out because of politeness and then after only eating 87 calories of hurried-ness we both join our knifes and forks back together on our plate and say My My that was filling and make a hasty retreat back up the stairs to our 60 square foot set up. Small talk is very painful and if you have nothing proper to say then just eat your porridge and say nowt .. That is all:

Last edited:
Why will there be no taxis?

Being pissed in charge of a driverless car will still be an offence.
Why? I'm sure it is at present, but personally I think when piss heads can get into the back of their own car, press 'home' on a touchscreen and nod off while the car gets them back the world will be a better place.

Have you looked at the legislation already prepared for driverless cars?

I think not.

People actually seem scared now NOT to use the self service checkouts.

A few months back I was in Tesco and noticed the tills where you buy cigs etc from was totally free. And for some reason people with only a handful of items were still in the 10+ queue of people waiting to use self service. By the time I'd finished the queue had predictably barely moved.

Baffling.

It's doing people out of work.

Supermarkets can have more express checkouts for the people having few items,or impatient fuckers.

These self service checkouts are more about making extra profit and freeing up store space than they are about delivering good service.

I find it difficult to warm to this argument.

Are we saying company’s should be restricted from making further profit and employ people when they are not needed ?

In which case , should we bring back toll booth workers ? Train ticket sellers instead of ticket machines ? Etc etc.

if you was a director of a company on a tight margin would you pay someone a wage which could hamper your profit margin even though there is a ready made technological replacement which could do the same job for free ?

I like to use them in our local Morrisons then the minute it stalls because it doesn't recognise the weight of a magazine ( really? selling them by weight now? ) or wants to age check my ancient face for a packet of paracetemols I take delight on decamping to a "real " till - it leaves the self service one disabled and flashing an amber light until someone comes to fix it. We should all do so and disable them for hours each day !

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.