Ilkay Gundogan - 2019/20 Performances

• Thread starter Deleted member 81382
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
You wouldn’t have signed Rodri? Enough of your bullshit, please.

Rodri is class but he's got a point. If we only had X amount to spend in the summer a centre back or centre mid what position was most in need of a upgrade?

Rodri is class but he's got a point. If we only had X amount to spend in the summer a centre back or centre mid what position was most in need of a upgrade?

We needed and have been looking for a Fernandinho successor for a couple of years now and Gundogan is not that player. You could argue we don't need a Fernandinho replacement right now but that's only because he's a freak of nature who has shown no signs of aging. It would have been poor planning to put all our eggs in one basket with him this season.

Anyway, Gundogan was great last night. I hope he's kept exclusively to either that role against certain teams or maybe used as an 8 alongside a more direct midfielder instead of crowbarring both him and David into the same lineup.

He didn't control the game imo. We had to build up our play from Mendy/Walker making it easier for them to press us
It's stange because he was our only unmarked player so he should have been available.

He reminds me of Pirlo when he plays as #6.
He's more a Xavi/Busquets style of player. Really, Pirlo did nothin more than long distance bombs across the field the last 10 years of his career. And free kicks. He spent most of the games as far back as the last line, often iddling between the centre backs. Nono, Gundogan is another kind of player.

He didn't control the game imo. We had to build up our play from Mendy/Walker making it easier for them to press us
It's stange because he was our only unmarked player so he should have been available.

Yeah, I've defended Gundogan non-stop on here but he was not good yesterday, and I think if people rewatched the game they'd pick up on it.

He's to blame for the penalty, pulling out of a standard tackle to stop the attack at their box, and it wasn't the first time he did that yesterday, but more importantly he was barely involved at all until just before the assist, and then when KDB came off.

It wasn't that he was actively poor, and making mistakes on the ball (possibly why it's been overlooked) he was just invisible. His touches and passes were miles down on his normal figures, he spent a lot of time just filling in blank space because Fernandinho and Mendy were doing what he usually does in recycling the ball, and because Foden pushes so much higher up than Silva, he doesn't get involved in those sessions of knocking it between each other and building up.

He just did not recognise that he was a spare man at all, he could and should have destroyed Atalanta by pushing 10 yards further up, but he just watched the game go by until it was over.

Part of me just thinks he's completely unnecessary in that team. The CB pairing was more than good enough at building up from the back, the LB at Mahrez were in midfield so often they helped press and retain possession for the 8's and Foden & KDB are such attacking threats, he can't play the role he sometimes does getting into the box.

Last edited:
Yeah, I've defended Gundogan non-stop on here but he was not good yesterday, and I think if people rewatched the game they'd pick up on it.

He's to blame for the penalty, pulling out of a standard tackle to stop the attack at their box, and it wasn't the first time he did that yesterday, but more importantly he was barely involved at all until just before the assist, and then when KDB came off.

It wasn't that he was actively poor, and making mistakes on the ball (possibly why it's been overlooked) he was just invisible. His touches and passes were miles down on his normal figures, he spent a lot of time just filling in blank space because Fernandinho and Mendy were doing what he usually does in recycling the ball, and because Foden pushes so much higher up than Silva, he doesn't get involved in those sessions of knocking it between each other and building up.

He just did not recognise that he was a spare man at all, he could and should have destroyed Atalanta by pushing 10 yards further up, but he just watched the game go by until it was over.

Part of me just thinks he's completely unnecessary in that team. The CB pairing was more than good enough at building up from the back, the LB at Mahrez were in midfield so often they helped press and retain possession for the 8's and Foden & KDB are such attacking threats, he can't play the role he sometimes does getting into the box.

do you always watch different games to the majority

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.