Liverpool pay City £1 million in "spy" settlement for hacking - biggest PL scandal

The method of hacking that LFC might have used here could be considered in the world of IT as one of the least damning. Granted password hacking can be done in various ways, but the easiest way is when not so smart users start using passwords that are way to predictable. Immagine a container filled to the brimm with gold bars secured by the simplest of slots and having the key under the floormat below it. There is a point where one can argue that "someone is asking to be robbed". Would you really punish a thief so much for stealing a diamond ferrari when the doors was left open and the keys left upon the dash?

In fact, from my pov i kinda "grant it" to "hackers" who get in by simply guessing the login and password right. It takes a certain fine skill of the one to do it, or the total lack of caution of the victim to propperly secure it.

That said, there are various ways of password hacking that are far less innocent. In such cases the punishment should be way harder:

-Brute force password hacking: This is a form of hacking where one uses software code to run trough potentially "almost every possible combination of login/password". This can take litteraly billions of attempts before you get a combination that works, but the code might run pretty fast trough those attempts. Granted, even with the speed of a program such efforts can take days and should be noticable to any network administrator that has his security set up right. This form of password hacking is quite different from the former as it takes a very concerted planned effort in contrast to the former where one can "just stumble on the gold".

-Bribery: Getting someone on the inside to facilitate acces for you is a often employed technique in the world of hacking. Again something that should warrent a bigger punishment.

I checked i short on this story but couldn't find the technical details of how they did it, so thx for the info. Yes, in that case i'd consider it relativly light. Well depends how they exactly got the passwords of their colleagues afcourse.

It sounds like you're trying to excuse Liverpool. It doesn't matter how the access details were obtained, they illegally accessed a database that they had no right to and did it over a 6 month period multiple times.

Edit: 100's of accesses over an 8 month period, so not an 'whoops, we forgot we didn't work there anymore' simple mistake.

Last edited:
Another day gone wi

Another day passing with this crime being totally ignored suggests that cheating is also widespread in the media.

It's in the Daily Mail and the Times so far it's not being ignored. I assume it will blow up when the FA start a proper investigation.

The method of hacking that LFC might have used here could be considered in the world of IT as one of the least damning. Granted password hacking can be done in various ways, but the easiest way is when not so smart users start using passwords that are way to predictable. Immagine a container filled to the brimm with gold bars secured by the simplest of slots and having the key under the floormat below it. There is a point where one can argue that "someone is asking to be robbed". Would you really punish a thief so much for stealing a diamond ferrari when the doors was left open and the keys left upon the dash?

In fact, from my pov i kinda "grant it" to "hackers" who get in by simply guessing the login and password right. It takes a certain fine skill of the one to do it, or the total lack of caution of the victim to propperly secure it.

That said, there are various ways of password hacking that are far less innocent. In such cases the punishment should be way harder:

-Brute force password hacking: This is a form of hacking where one uses software code to run trough potentially "almost every possible combination of login/password". This can take litteraly billions of attempts before you get a combination that works, but the code might run pretty fast trough those attempts. Granted, even with the speed of a program such efforts can take days and should be noticable to any network administrator that has his security set up right. This form of password hacking is quite different from the former as it takes a very concerted planned effort in contrast to the former where one can "just stumble on the gold".

-Bribery: Getting someone on the inside to facilitate acces for you is a often employed technique in the world of hacking. Again something that should warrent a bigger punishment.
I am not sure how it occurred, but I do agree a pre-planned plot would be more serious than an opportunistic crime, however from what I have read, LFC are in very hot water IF City have provided the FA with evidence of unauthorised access. How would you refute that, and how could a regulator walk away from that, once the world knows or thinks they know some of the background?

It sounds like you're trying to excuse Liverpool. It doesn't matter how the access details were obtained, they illegally accessed a database that they had no right to and did it over a 6 month period multiple times.

Don't be bloody stupid, i'm a blue. The difference is that i have a relevant degree and experience in network administration and i'm just giving my insights from that viewpoint. Pool can go burn in hell as far as im concerned. The reflections i made though was that severity of punishment would typicly depend of form in which it happened especially if that suggests a concerted pre planned effort.

Last edited:
I am not sure how it occurred, but I do agree a pre-planned plot would be more serious than an opportunistic crime, however from what I have read, LFC are in very hot water IF City have provided the FA with evidence of unauthorised access. How would you refute that, and how could a regulator walk away from that, once the world knows or thinks they know some of the background?

Well i'd like the technical details on how it was exactly done. I'm not refuting aything unless i know the details.

What i do consider is given that scouts afaik often work freelance that LFC might even not have been aware that the information was aquired trough hacking by their hired scout. I presume it's also good for the scout if he's able to bring in an interresting player, even getting payed extra for that?

What would be way more worse for LFC would be that the intrusions would have been tracked back to their networks. If it proves that someone used a computer sitting within the IP range of a LFC network to acces a secured server of MCFC well i doubt the regulators would need so much more.

Doing it once is an opportunistic crime, doing it multiple times over an eight month period is pre planned. It's like your partner may forgive you for a drunken one off fumble but is unlikely to do so after an eight month affair unless of course you are a multi millionaire footballer. the victims are in deep shit and I can only see a huge fine and a points deduction coming there way. Anything less would mean a cover up of huge proportions.

I checked i short on this story but couldn't find the technical details of how they did it, so thx for the info. Yes, in that case i'd consider it relativly light. Well depends how they exactly got the passwords of their colleagues afcourse.
Simple way of looking at it
We didn't leave the back door open it was locked, Liverwoods came equipped

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.