United thread 2019/20

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I visited Calcutta (Kolkata) 25+ years ago I was surprised to learn how popular football was there.
This is so true. I was born and raised in Kolkata. I have lived there for 22 years and football there is a religion kind of. The Mohan Bagan-East Bengal Derby is one of the fiercest derbies in the world. Bengalis (people who live in West Bengal of which Kolkata is the capital city) generally have preferred football to cricket. They do even now. During the 50s and 60s when the Indian national Team was good, there used to be atleast 5 to 6 Bengalis in the first XI regularly. Most of the great Indian football players were Bengalis before it all went downhill. God knows what happened but you will hardly find anyone from Kolkata in the National team anymore.

This is so true. I was born and raised in Kolkata. I have lived there for 22 years and football there is a religion kind of. The Mohan Bagan-East Bengal Derby is one of the fiercest derbies in the world. Bengalis (people who live in West Bengal of which Kolkata is the capital city) generally have preferred football to cricket. They do even now. During the 50s and 60s when the Indian national Team was good, there used to be atleast 5 to 6 Bengalis in the first XI regularly. Most of the great Indian football players were Bengalis before it all went downhill. God knows what happened but you will hardly find anyone from Kolkata in the National team anymore.
It disappeared into the black hole

Since 2005 myself and Mrs Up North have been winter holidaying in Goa and since retiring in 2012 we spend most of the Winter there. To get to the point , when we first started coming the locals virtually didn't know what football was ,never mind the "Great Man Utd". However as the years went on the game was more accessible and they started to follow it. Whenever I told them I was from, Manchester UK, came the reply "Ah Manchester United" no I say City, the Blue side, it was met with blank stares. However it is now changed so much, the Prem League is big now here in Goa and Indias' own IPL is half decent. To the point where as now talking to a local guy the other evening, when I told him I'm a City fan ,he replied wow they are a good team but how do you think they will go on without David Silva next season. The tide in this part of Asia is definitely turning.

I had a WTF moment about 16 yrs ago whilst walking around Anjuna market when i came across a stall holder wearing a snide City top.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.