Liverpool (a) post-match thread

To be honest I think this is Pep's last season, you know when you just get a feeling that something is different. This is it for me and I hope I'm wrong but 3-4 years seems to be where he is at and I still believe that the players are fatigued as even with injuries they should be performing much better. I think Pep whether through his own choice or those above him is focused on the CL this season in my opinion. His team selections seem to indicate this at times and on Sunday I think he realised that with that makeshift defence we couldn't play like we did last year at Anfield and our best chance at getting a result would be to just go for it and concede in the process. When such a huge decision went against us early on we all knew it was going to be one of those days again. Fabinho smashing it in out of nowhere told me everything and I'll be honest I switched the game off after that.

Liverpool are like a bad smell they just won't go away but we didn't do ourselves any favors and Pep seems to be all over the place. Hopefully a win against Chelsea will get everything back on track.

Now in terms of where we go from here, I think we have to buy a CB in January but nothing else. We have Jesus as backup to Aguero, sterling can also play here and we have Foden as a replacement to Silva or Gundo so contrary to what the papers have been saying I don't see us needing 3 players in Jan.
Agree with most of that.

I don't think it would surprise anybody if Pep did call it a day after this season. He still has the passion though, that was evident on 90 mins at Anfield. Our players need to wake up because it's frightening how we've regressed from the centurions season where we were sensational. Watched most of the DVD last night and the pace in that side was fantastic, Sane, De Bruyne absolutely pivotal in everything good that we did.
We miss Sane massively the most energetic player in our squad, even Otamendi chipped in with several goals, now he can barely get in the team. Hard to understand what's gone wrong .

Well I don't think we were brilliant to be honest and if you don't take your chances then this league punishes you, Spurs at home springs to mind. The VAR is now a shambles and needs sorting. I've mentioned it before but I don't think this team's got going yet. Injuries have played a part but virtually the whole squad is playing well below par. I hope the L'pool game followed by the international break can reset us. The league will be won or lost in the next 3 months imo. I think the red scouse shit will drop points and when they do we have to make inroads into the difference, because I think we'll do them at our place.

I don't think it would surprise anybody if Pep did call it a day after this season. He still has the passion though, that was evident on 90 mins at Anfield. Our players need to wake up because it's frightening how we've regressed from the centurions season where we were sensational. Watched most of the DVD last night and the pace in that side was fantastic, Sane, De Bruyne absolutely pivotal in everything good that we did.
We miss Sane massively the most energetic player in our squad, even Otamendi chipped in with several goals, now he can barely get in the team. Hard to understand what's gone wrong .

We played much better on Sunday than we did in the 17/18 season on Anfield where we lost 4:3 and 3:0. We didn't have so many injuries and bad refereeing decisions then too. We haven't regressed, we're just being hampered by injuries and refereeing errors.

To be honest I think this is Pep's last season, you know when you just get a feeling that something is different. This is it for me and I hope I'm wrong but 3-4 years seems to be where he is at and I still believe that the players are fatigued as even with injuries they should be performing much better. I think Pep whether through his own choice or those above him is focused on the CL this season in my opinion. His team selections seem to indicate this at times and on Sunday I think he realised that with that makeshift defence we couldn't play like we did last year at Anfield and our best chance at getting a result would be to just go for it and concede in the process. When such a huge decision went against us early on we all knew it was going to be one of those days again. Fabinho smashing it in out of nowhere told me everything and I'll be honest I switched the game off after that.

Liverpool are like a bad smell they just won't go away but we didn't do ourselves any favors and Pep seems to be all over the place. Hopefully a win against Chelsea will get everything back on track.

Now in terms of where we go from here, I think we have to buy a CB in January but nothing else. We have Jesus as backup to Aguero, sterling can also play here and we have Foden as a replacement to Silva or Gundo so contrary to what the papers have been saying I don't see us needing 3 players in Jan.
Not sure he will go in May but I don't see him extending the contract and he might well go if we win the CL this season. But all that is not for us to decide just speculate about. The overall feeling about that game is that we never deserved to be three goals down and virtually dead in the water. Not sure we done enough to win but were worth a draw at least. In general though I don't think we are near the level required to bridge the points gap at present. As other contributors have noted we are nowhere near as fluent and fast as recent seasons and notwithstanding injuries others do appear to have figured us out.

I've calmed down a bit now and I'm almost done with being bitter about the VAR cheats. These last two pages have been the best discussion so far. TMT's stats proved we were well in the game and deserved more than we got. A full strength City side would've beaten the scum, no doubt about it.

We played much better on Sunday than we did in the 17/18 season on Anfield where we lost 4:3 and 3:0. We didn't have so many injuries and bad refereeing decisions then too. We haven't regressed, we're just being hampered by injuries and refereeing errors.
I agree we played better than the games you mentioned but we still fell short in defence and in terms of converting chances a common theme in a lot of games this season.
Even with the injuries and bad decisions we are not at the same level as recently and time is running out as unless the dippers lose we are in must win territory. Fall any further behind and its all over. We will find out over the next 6 weeks if we have, or how far we have regressed.

You can't deny we played better football then though and were more exciting to watch.

You can't deny we played better football then though and were more exciting to watch.

I can deny we played better football at Anfield despite not being hampered by injuries.

Besides, it's meaningless to compare a whole season with a sequence of 6-7 games. I think we'll play our best football under Pep in the spring. Progress is not always a linear thing.

The big difference with the previous 2 seasons is we are less clinical. So, it's not about creating fewer chances, but about converting them. Maybe there is a bit of mental tiredness from the last 2 seasons, but those defeats might help us shake things up and go again.

I agree we played better than the games you mentioned but we still fell short in defence and in terms of converting chances a common theme in a lot of games this season.
Even with the injuries and bad decisions we are not at the same level as recently and time is running out as unless the dippers lose we are in must win territory. Fall any further behind and its all over. We will find out over the next 6 weeks if we have, or how far we have regressed.

You could make the same comment in December last season when we lost 3 games in 3 weeks.

It's too early to generalise about the season and project tendencies. After winning 198 points over 2 seasons, unprecedented in the history of European football, it's natural to experience a dip in form, injuries, etc. But I don't think the path from here is downward. We'll come back strong soon.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.