Any roofers out there?

Didsbury Dave

A geezer has just been round to look at our leaking roof. He said that a couple of slates have moved after we had a flue installed. He told my wife that it was maybe an hour's work, then the cheeker fucker quoted £340. She's not as daft as she looks and asked why so much and he gave her some shite about how he would be then responsible for that hole and would be on call if needed.

Luckily she told him to sling his hook. Am I right in thinking a job like that should be about £50?

Roofing is a tricky one. A lot depends on how safe they play it. Most jobs should have scaffolding but that is dead money to them. I find that getting any decent trade person around to do a job that takes less than a day is a nightmare. If it was my business i would be tempted to quote for 2 days work as a minimum for everything.

I had mysterious roof trouble about 2 years ago. My house shape meant scaffolding needed. Three guys spent most of the day trying to find the fault. No luck, so one called his brother, an expert in chimneys apparently. "Yup, its your chimney. Just needs a better cowl." Cowl fitted, no damp since.
£700.

A geezer has just been round to look at our leaking roof. He said that a couple of slates have moved after we had a flue installed. He told my wife that it was maybe an hour's work, then the cheeker fucker quoted £340. She's not as daft as she looks and asked why so much and he gave her some shite about how he would be then responsible for that hole and would be on call if needed.

Luckily she told him to sling his hook. Am I right in thinking a job like that should be about £50?
No it should be about £150 mate, even if it takes 2hrs.

Cheers everyone. The ripoff geezer did find the problem straight away and was going to do it there and then, so it wasn't going to escalate or need scaffolding. I suspect it was absolutely nothing. He actually said to my wife "a couple of tiles have moved".

I've used a guy in the past 'City Roofing' but he's in Audenshaw, a blue as well. Did a job for me to sort out a shit job someone else did.

As it’s “danger” money you’ll always be doing well to get a guy on your roof for less than a couple of hundred, although £340 is a bit of a pisstake. Assuming it was going to take him no more than a few minutes then I suppose £100/150 would have sounded feasible.

I echo the other guys on here asking about roofers, I must have had 6 or so on my roof over the last 10 years and every single one of them has been shite and never done the complete job. Problem being of course you can never be up there to see whether they’ve done what they say and the problems arise once they’ve gone. Getting anyone back once paid, never easy.

As it’s “danger” money you’ll always be doing well to get a guy on your roof for less than a couple of hundred, although £340 is a bit of a pisstake. Assuming it was going to take him no more than a few minutes then I suppose £100/150 would have sounded feasible.

I echo the other guys on here asking about roofers, I must have had 6 or so on my roof over the last 10 years and every single one of them has been shite and never done the complete job. Problem being of course you can never be up there to see whether they’ve done what they say and the problems arise once they’ve gone. Getting anyone back once paid, never easy.
You can hire a 12M boom lift cherry picker for £400 a day plus delivery. You could replace some tiles, clean the guttering and have some fun at the same time. £500 for the week and you could make some cash from the neighbours.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.