Is there a lack of intensity in our game? If so, how do we solve it?

Marvin

Watching City this last month I have been struck by the lack of intensity in our game. I have seen many others make similar comments on here and in the media.

This was very obvious at SJP in the 1st half. It looked like we had 80% possession but our game lacked urgency.

By intensity I mean:

distance run
players sprinting or jogging with and without the ball
attitude to 50-50s
choice of pass - forwards or sideways
speed of pass

It would be useful to have some stats to back this up but I am afraid that all I have are impressions.

If that is true, then the next question is why? Is it mental, or is it physical?

You look at the player selection and there are players like Gundogan, Mendy, Silva and Mahrez who are slow, or who pass the ball off habitually instead of taking their man on.

But is the lack of pace in our game a reflection of carelessness and state of mind? Liverpool are playing poorly, but they find a way to win games. It's mental. Have we grown complacent? If that is it, then topics like extending Pep's contract are redundant.

I actually believe that the intensity, determination or mental attitude (call it what you will) is a function of age / injury. I am basing this on the Chelsea home game. There players like Kante were running rings around City in the 1st half. We couldn't get close to them but in the 2nd half the game changed totally when Foden and Jesus came on, suddenly we were pressing and CFC couldn't get out of their own half. They had the ball but they were forced to play sideways.

However, if it's down to lack of pace in our player selection, then why doesn't Pep see that? He has a very obvious solution staring at him in the face in Foden and he doesn't use him? It's particularly hard to understand because young players coming into the squad are naturally quicker and they also put pressure on the senior pros. I think Pep has made a mistake in using Fernandinho to cover for Laporte and I think he has delayed too long in bringing Foden through. He's too loyal to his players.

Change it Pep. Bring Garcia and Foden into the 1st team.

The press has subsided.
Retaining the ball and winning back within that 3 seconds is disappearing.
Standing off tacklingand running backwards, while the opposition player attacks.
Running off the ball, making those short passes and triangles, isn’t as obvious.
Passing sideways far too much.
The desire, hunger, and general will to win isn’t as obvious.
Who’s our Captain?
In hindsight, even though we all knew it, losing Kompany is a massive blow, not just for the defence, but for the whole team.
A rock, a leader, and a captain.

For me it’s not so much about physical effort, emotionally it looks like the last couple of seasons took a lot out of us. There was so much focus on retaining the title and I’m not sure what the focus is now, perhaps it is the CL. If it is, no wonder our league form is off because at that level if you’re not 100% every week, you get found out. You can see what the dipper focus is.

We’re definitely not ‘on it’. Perhaps a big game like the derby can change that and we get on a roll.

Fuck gundogan off. He's playing a position where he sets the tempo. He's too slow both in and out of possession.

I'd play KDB there instead if he insists on keeping Fernandinho centre back. And play Bernardo in kdb current position.
I agree if Pep refuses to move Dinho KDB from deeper can have a huge impact.

For me it’s not so much about physical effort, emotionally it looks like the last couple of seasons took a lot out of us. There was so much focus on retaining the title and I’m not sure what the focus is now, perhaps it is the CL. If it is, no wonder our league form is off because at that level if you’re not 100% every week, you get found out. You can see what the dipper focus is.

We’re definitely not ‘on it’. Perhaps a big game like the derby can change that and we get on a roll.
We had a big game against Chelsea and they for the 1st half were destroying us. It took a lucky deflection for us to get back in it.

Yes need some jounger legs in midfield if only we had a player like Foden, or Bernardo to complement Sterling, Jesus. Our midfield at present is abit old and slow !!! Or just slow !!The biggest miss is Fernandinho from midfield. And it just goes to show what a big influence Kompany was around the club.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.