London Bridge terror attack - 2 dead (not including attacker)

You’re a complete lunatic.
That's your opinion.I don't agree.PC 's 'post was well thought out and based on fact.hardly the actions of a lunatic.

It's hard sometimes reading the views of others which don't sit nicely with your own...but it's a tad silly to revert to personal attacks...show some respect to your fellow poster.

That's your opinion.I don't agree.PC 's 'post was well thought out and based on fact.hardly the actions of a lunatic.

It's hard sometimes reading the views of others which don't sit nicely with your own...but it's a tad silly to revert to personal attacks...show some respect to your fellow poster.
No, the conversation followed on from him saying he expected a terrorist attack to take Prince Andrew out of the new cycle. That’s not basing anything on fact.

No one in this thread had dismissed that notion.

You’ve building yourself a straw man there bud.
I think that’s a little unfair and would be less so if I’d aimed my post at a particular poster. It was a more general point about the duty we all have as citizens to maintain a healthy degree of scepticism about the motives and actions of the state, and/or people purporting to act on its behalf - which some people conspicuously fail to do, despite your inference to the contrary.

Are you a moderator? If not you can shove your orders up your back side.

Suggesting the British state is purposefully allowing terror attacks and our citizens to be killed by them, isn’t a reasonable or thought out suggestion, especially when he’s got absolutely no evidence.

It’s the sort of opinion a far left or far right idiot comes up with, which I’m now guessing you fall into either one of those categories.

It’s a parody.

Two genuine Twitter accounts that I keep tabs on in relation to terrorism are those of Peter Neumann and Shiraz Maher.

Both have considerable expertise in this area and their tweets provide informed analysis and comment, as well as alerting their followers to relevant new publications and articles.

It's a quick way of keeping abreast of developments.

A few years ago I read a whole raft of books about ISIS. Just in case anyone is interested, Neumann's brief and exceptionally readable Radicalized: New Jihadists and the Threat to the West and Maher's Salafi-Jihadism: The History of an Idea would rate as my personal top two.

William McCants The ISIS Apocalypse: The History, Strategy and Doomsday Vision of the Islamic State was also excellent, as was Olivier Roy's Jihad and Death: The Global Appeal of Islamic State. Additionally, Patrick Cockburn's reportage on events in Syria and Iraq as they unfolded was first rate.

I haven't read either of them, but on the issue of homegrown terrorism, Michael Kenney's The Islamic State in Britain and Rafaello Pantucci's 'We Love Death As You Love Life': Britain's Suburban Terrorists are both meant to be very good.

Going even deeper, the vexed and controversial issue of the extent to which the actions of ISIS are grounded in Islam itself is addressed in Asma Afsaruddin's publications, especially The First Muslims: History and Memory and Contemporary Issues in Islam. Khaled Abou El Fadl's The Great Theft: Wrestling Islam from the Extremists is also impressive and very readable.

Finally, John Holroyd's Judging Religion offers an ethical appraisal of religion (from the perspective of an atheist) that, in my view, is especially nuanced. Julian Bond's online review of this publication is worth seeking out (for some reason, I can't post a link to it here).

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.