Guardiola rules out any January signings.

All those who slated JFE look rather stupid now.

Most people at the time felt Evans was an underwhelming short term move. He was decent at WBA, but definitely not at the level he is now. He's still not top class IMO, just good! Reliable, consistent etc. Never gonna be world class though. Back then lots of us wanted something a little more than that. Something ambitious, and that was understandable. Pulling out of the Evans transfer directly lead to the Laporte one, so in the end it wasn't exactly a bad call was it? There's no way we'd have signed Laporte for the money we did in January if we'd just signed Evans. We made the correct choice back then.

I admit Evans has improved at Leicester and looks a good player, but I don't regret us pulling out of that one bit. We got Laporte who is genuinely world class, and young.

Last edited:
Most people at the time felt Evans was an underwhelming short term move. He was decent at WBA, but definitely not at the level he is now. He's still not top class IMO, just good! Reliable, consistent etc. Never gonna be world class though. Back they lots of us wanted something a little more than that. Something ambitious, and that was understandable. Pulling out of the Evans transfer directly lead to the Laporte one, so in the end it wasn't exactly a bad call was it? There's no way we'd have signed Laporte for the money we did in January if we'd just signed Evans. We made the correct choice back then.

I admit Evans has improved at Leicester and looks a good player, but I don't regret us pulling out of that one bit. We got Laporte who is genuinely world class, and young.
Not every player has to be world class though. I forget the background to Laporte and JE transfers. I just know that had we had a JE to call on when Laporte got injured we wouldn't be 11 points off Liverpool in the 1st week of December which is a diabolical state of affairs.

The most important thing is that this dip is turned into a blip and I don't see that happening until Laporte returns. We are back where we were in Guardiola's first season with a defence that offers zero resistance.

What about our inability to score more goals which I believe is the best way to win a football match.
Why are we unable to convert shots into shots on target then into goals yet our opponents regularly have very few shots yet almost as many goals as shots?
Unfortunately for us possession only means our opponents cannot shoot at our goal.. Opponents rely on our strikers not being successful or have found a way to defend against our world class strikers. Can we learn from them or will that mean abandoning our insistence on possession being our only defence as well as attack?

Not every player has to be world class though. I forget the background to Laporte and JE transfers. I just know that had we had a JE to call on when Laporte got injured we wouldn't be 11 points off Liverpool in the 1st week of December which is a diabolical state of affairs.

The most important thing is that this dip is turned into a blip and I don't see that happening until Laporte returns. We are back where we were in Guardiola's first season with a defence that offers zero resistance.
Which Bravo took the fall for.

What about our inability to score more goals which I believe is the best way to win a football match.
Why are we unable to convert shots into shots on target then into goals yet our opponents regularly have very few shots yet almost as many goals as shots?
Unfortunately for us possession only means our opponents cannot shoot at our goal.. Opponents rely on our strikers not being successful or have found a way to defend against our world class strikers. Can we learn from them or will that mean abandoning our insistence on possession being our only defence as well as attack?

We're actually on target to score more goals than last season or the centurions season.

I believe we've scored more than any other team in the top 5 leagues around Europe.

Don't think goals are the problem.

Most people at the time felt Evans was an underwhelming short term move. He was decent at WBA, but definitely not at the level he is now. He's still not top class IMO, just good! Reliable, consistent etc. Never gonna be world class though. Back then lots of us wanted something a little more than that. Something ambitious, and that was understandable. Pulling out of the Evans transfer directly lead to the Laporte one, so in the end it wasn't exactly a bad call was it? There's no way we'd have signed Laporte for the money we did in January if we'd just signed Evans. We made the correct choice back then.

It was a bad mistake, he would have been an invaluable squad member even without Kompany's departure and the Laporte injury.

As other people have stated not all our players have to be worldies, good quality, low maintenance players make excellent additions to our squad.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.