Rip Bob Willis, another blue gone.

RIP Bob. Great fast bowler - one of England's finest. Some extremely memorable performances etched into our collective memories.

Sad to hear of this. Was a huge Dylan fan apparently; stormed on to the stage at one of his shows I think, or maybe I’m misremembering. Anyway, one of England’s finest, RIP

Make me piss you lot, Gary Rhodes passes away and every joke under the sun is posted within 10 minutes of his heart stopping. A guy passes away who might have supported City and the forum goes into mourning

Loved Bob Willis on Sky. Too young to remember him as a bowler unfortunately. RIP Bob.
Before the Barmy Army, all you would hear from the stands would be "Come on, Bob" and then the members in the posh seats would peer at you for your loutish behaviour.

I say this one last time, with a little tear in my eye for the memories are glorious ... 'come on, Bob!'

RIP

PS My favourite memory of him as a commentator was when Lancs beat Warwicks in a one day game and John Abrahams, I think it was, won man of the match for his captaincy skills (think he scored single figures and took no wickets). Bob went mental.

EDIT: My memory fades, he wasn't a commentator that day but was the Warwicks captain. Think it was Bob's post match interview I found hilarious ...

Benson & Hedges final , 1984. Lancashire vs Warwickshire. John Abraham’s was the Lancs captain. Basically, he won the toss and chose to bowl on a green one. His bowlers did the rest in the field. He got a third ball duck but Fairbrother and Hughes got the job done.

Peter May was choosing the MOM but by the time he had to choose, it rather looked and sounded (from where I was sitting) that he had somewhat over enjoyed the hospitality. Consequently, in his speech, he announced he was awarding MOM to Abrahams for his captaincy. Even the Lancs supporters found it amazing/amusing.

Coincidentally, it was also Abrahams’ 32 nd birthday and Bob Willis’ last playing appearance at Lords.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.