Ban Them For Life

Just scoured the internet and I can't find anything that explains what a chelm is.
A bit bizarre that somebody might try to insult a stranger by calling them a City in Poland.
Interesting choice of insult. Chelm was a placename used in Eastern European Yiddish culture to denote a city full of idiots, similar to the way we used to make Irish jokes and the Americans made Polish jokes. I'm not sure if it was a mythical place or actually existed. But it does exist and Isaac Bashevis Singer wrote a book valled 'The Fools of Chelm'.

Is "a Chelm" short for a resident of Chelmsford ?.. kind of like Manc is short for someone from Manchester

Real disappointed with what happened.

Make the club and fans look bad .

I've seen us lose plenty of Derbies over the years but have never felt the need to throw stuff or abuse rival players or fans.

Interesting choice of insult. Chelm was a placename used in Eastern European Yiddish culture to denote a city full of idiots, similar to the way we used to make Irish jokes and the Americans made Polish jokes. I'm not sure if it was a mythical place or actually existed. But it does exist and Isaac Bashevis Singer wrote a book valled 'The Fools of Chelm'.

Before people stopped making Irish jokes because they could be seen as racist stereotyping?

Real disappointed with what happened.

Make the club and fans look bad .

I've seen us lose plenty of Derbies over the years but have never felt the need to throw stuff or abuse rival players or fans.

Nothing wrong with giving opposing players the bird mate. It’s when it degenerates into throwing missiles and racist abuse that it becomes a complete no-no.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.