Who's into Classical Music?

Prestwich_Blue

Let's escape all the doom and gloom on the political and football fronts with a classical music thread.

My dad was a classical music aficionado so I grew up listening to it even though it wasn't really my taste but as I've got older I've come to appreciate it more. I've even started going to the RNCM occasionally & saw a wonderful performance of Tchaikovsky's Violin Concerto and Stravinsky's Firebird Suite, played by the students recently. I'm working my way through the book '1001 Classical Recordings To Hear Before You Die' and on Sunday I finished my latest piece for KOTK to the background of Handel's Messiah.

One piece from listening to my dad's stuff that struck me at the time and I still love to listen to today is Rhodion Shchedrin's interpretation of the Carmen Suite. It's just strings and percussion but so dramatic. I love Beethoven's 5th/6th/7th Symphonies and am getting to know the others. Also love Samuel Barber's Violin Concerto, which is more modern.

So who else is into Classical music and do you have a favourite composer/piece?

Last edited:
I’ve always liked classical but usually the ones from films, Especially Barbers Asiago for Strings.

however we do head to classical concerts quite a bit.

we’ve seen four seasons a few times in different versions from candle light to Nigel Kennedy’s take on it.

Cello is my favourite instrument. We saw Yo-yo Ma doing Bach’s six cello suites, where it was just him on stage on his own for the whole time with no breaks!

Let's escape all the doom and gloom on the political and football fronts with a classical music thread.

My dad was a classical music aficionado so I grew up listening to it even though it wasn't really my taste but as I've got older I've come to appreciate it more. I've even started going to the RNCM occasionally & saw a wonderful performamce of Tchaikovsky's Violin Concerto and Stravinsky's Firebird Suite, played by the students recently. I'm working my way through the book '1010 Classical Recordings To Hear Before You Die' and on Sunday I finished my latest piece for KOTK to the background of Handel's Messiah.

One piece from listening to my dad's stuff that struck me at the time and I still love to listen to today is Rhodion Shchedrin's interpretation of the Carmen Suite. It's just strings and percussion but so dramatic. I love Beethoven's 5th/6th/7th Symphonies and am getting to know the others. Also love Samuel Barber's Violin Concerto, which is more modern.

I was night caretaker at the rncm until redundancy in 2002 Colin it was a joy to listen to the youngsters piano mainly on our last night the students set up a full orchestra in reception brought us a tray of beer and proceeded with a concert on our behalf.

My dad was a classical music aficionado so I grew up listening to it even though it wasn't really my taste but as I've got older I've come to appreciate it more. I've even started going to the RNCM occasionally & saw a wonderful performamce of Tchaikovsky's Violin Concerto and Stravinsky's Firebird Suite, played by the students recently. I'm working my way through the book '1010 Classical Recordings To Hear Before You Die' and on Sunday I finished my latest piece for KOTK to the background of Handel's Messiah.

Don't min a bit of Classical music every now and again.

The first orchestral recordings I owned were film scores (Star Wars and Close Encounters of the Third Kind, both in vinyl). I do like a good film score. Barber's Adagio for Strings (Platoon) instantly springs to mind.

If I'm in the mood, I might plug in my phones set up and dig into a bit of Wagner, or Vivaldi. I'm also not adverse to a bit of Rachmaninov.

Not a fan of classical music as such because I'm not 'moved' by the instruments in an orchestra as I am in a band but I do like what certain bands have done with classical music

ELP - The Gates of Kiev (as mentioned above by Dr Dweeb)
Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath which is a corruption of Mars from the Planet Suite I think
Deep Purple - Concerto for band and orchestra (written by keyboard player Jon Lord) with the Royal Philharmonic conducted by Malcolm Arnold
Deep Purple - Beethoven's 9th (a favourite of Ritchie Blackmore) played live many times
Dire Straits - Money for Noth..... sorry, my mistake

Beethoven's 8th is my favorite.
Also, anything by Aaron Copland always lifts my spirits. (Played Appalachian Spring most of the evening after the derby)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.