Dinamo Zagreb (a) post-match thread

Like I've said on a different thread. It's time for the youth to lead the the charge.

Nice Gabby, Foden and Garcia into full-time starters.

The energy level in midfield and on the press was 2 notches higher than usual. And that's even with Gundogan and Rodri on the field.

Cancelo....Walker....Ota'...Garcia.....Mendy
........... Debryune.....Rodri.......Foden...........
..............,.. Sterling...........Gabby...................

That's what I'm rolling with personally
No Fernandinho in the Rodri role? Still has the pace in his legs

I don't know about that. He's a constant surprise. I watched him play for Ukraine in a qualifier and he was the best player on the pitch.

ANyway. More importantly Laporte has just posted a video of him training on grass. Not doing ball work, but doing sprints.

I am hoping the low point of the season has passed.

Yeah based off the 25 minutes he played tonight, which was probably the first time we've ever seen him play there.

Totally.

You think he’s ever going to be as good as Silva, De Bruyne, Yaya, Fernandinho or whoever in that position?

That’s how good you have to be to play in midfield for a team with the quality and expectations of City.

You have to be world class or close to it. You need that range of pass, that decision making, that quality at keeping possession. You need to be able to dictate the tempo of an entire game.

I guess he could play in midfield for a team closer to the middle of the table, one with the hope of getting into the Europa League maybe.

Last edited:
You think he’s ever going to be as good as Silva, De Bruyne, Yaya, Fernandinho or whoever in that position?

That’s how good you have to be to play in midfield for a team with the quality and expectations of City.

You have to be world class or close to it to have that range of passing, that decision making, that good at keeping possession.

I think he could do a similar job to Gundogan, either at DM or a bit further forward. He'll mainly play at LB though I suspect.

I think he could do a similar job to Gundogan, either at DM or a bit further forward. He'll mainly play at LB though I suspect.

I personally don’t think Gundogan is good enough to start every game for City but his technical ability is miles and miles beyond Zinchenkos. The gulf in quality on the ball, the passing range etc is absolutely huge.

Mendy deserves to start on Sunday after tonight. Let's be honest Angelino has been piss poor the majority of time he has played this season, He's done nothing to warrant a place at left back.
I'd start Mendy.
The problem is we have no decent defensive left back. Its definitely a position Pep should strengthen in the summer.

Last edited:
I wouldn’t get overly carried away by beating that Zagreb team, but I really did enjoy that 2nd half.
Great to see youth in the side.
As a long standing supporter, I never get carried away. If I see us win, I have to wait till the next day to check in the papers before I believe it. But, as you say, some decent youngsters on show today.
#never forget swales

another thing i would like to point out is, we may have planned to put all our eggs into one basket this season because we are a different animal in europe and its like chalk and cheese
I disagree, for the most part our CL performances haven't been great either, in a poor group. We were pretty dreadful in Italy, dreadful at home against Shaktar, and about OK at home against Zagreb. A better decision by a Zagreb forward tonight and we'd have been 2-0 down, we've played well 3 times, Shaktar A, Atalanta H, and tonight after about 20 minutes or so, but they collapsed after we equalised, so I'm not sure you can look into that too much.

We won't get through the next round imho if we continue to be so erratic, league and cup, we've been equally hot and cold for me, and we will be playing a tough team next up.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.