Electrician help

After turning it off how long should he leave it before turning it back on ?

Also, should he turn it back on by flicking the switch very quickly or should he do it as slowly as possible ?

He should caress it nice and slow like you would the naked bosom of a beautiful woman.
fore-play? boiler ? seriously though if the relay keeps tripping that has to be sorted first, good luck with the call-out price.......

So I’m pretty sure my leaking from pipes pump in oil boiler outside was tripping the electricity meaning I couldn’t heat house. So I dried it and used sos tape to seal it up. The oil stayed on but only heating 2 of the 4 radiators upstairs, none heating downstairs. I turned it off cos although smoke comes out of the chimney or outside boiler as normal there was a bit of smoke getting out from corroded 20+ year old boiler

Need some advice, if anyone can help, please.

When it rains heavily the RCD switch keeps on tripping.

I've narrowed the problem down to the downstairs sockets.

I do have some internal damp problems on 2 walls that have 2 sockets on them.

I don't know where the damp is coming from because they are internal walls, not external walls. The paint keeps on bubbling up and flaking away. I have to keep on repainting the walls over a period of time. There's no visible wood rot on the skirting boards or bubbling of the laminate flooring.

Inbetween the two sockets is the chimney breast. The chimney pots are capped so rain shouldn't be coming down the chimney breast, which was where the old gas fire was.

How can I find out if it is either or both of those two wall sockets causing the RCD to trip? And what do I have to do to both or either of those two sockets to stop the RCD tripping, so I can use the the other downstairs sockets. (without killing myself. :-) )

I will get an electrician in at some point. I just want to isolate either or both of those two sockets so they don't keep on tripping the RCD switch when it rains.

Thanks.

Need some advice, if anyone can help, please.

When it rains heavily the RCD switch keeps on tripping.

I've narrowed the problem down to the downstairs sockets.

I do have some internal damp problems on 2 walls that have 2 sockets on them.

I don't know where the damp is coming from because they are internal walls, not external walls. The paint keeps on bubbling up and flaking away. I have to keep on repainting the walls over a period of time. There's no visible wood rot on the skirting boards or bubbling of the laminate flooring.

Inbetween the two sockets is the chimney breast. The chimney pots are capped so rain shouldn't be coming down the chimney breast, which was where the old gas fire was.

How can I find out if it is either or both of those two wall sockets causing the RCD to trip? And what do I have to do to both or either of those two sockets to stop the RCD tripping, so I can use the the other downstairs sockets. (without killing myself. :-) )

I will get an electrician in at some point. I just want to isolate either or both of those two sockets so they don't keep on tripping the RCD switch when it rains.

Thanks.
Are the sockets on a radial or a spur?

A radial socket will have 2 live and 2 neutral cables per socket; a spur will have just 1 live and one neutral (unless they are the last socket in the radial).

If it's a spur, then you can just disconnect the socket and separate/tape up the conductors. With a radial you will have to remove the wires from the socket and connect them together with an appropriate connector, then apply electrical tape round the connector.

Isolate the circuit (trip the CB) before you make or break any connections and always use a socket tester to make sure the circuit is dead.

If you have ANY doubt, call an electrician.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.