Has this season turned the laws of the game a farce?

Fame Monster

Looking at the penalty we got awarded tonight, which seemed an obvious attempt to compensate (now that the title's gone) for some of the farcical/corrupt decisions Liverpool have been awarded this season, it seems football is no longer a contact sport as a result of attempts to engineer the title race.

Like the Mane decision, the touch on Mahrez's foot didn't obstruct or impede him (and unless you're soft, obviously didn't hurt him) in the slightest but was still given. At every level from Sunday League to North West Counties and all the way up to about League 1, there would be a brawl if the referee had given a decision like that. Even a couple of seasons ago in the Premier League, that wouldn't be given as a penalty. And don't get me started on the handball rule.

So forgetting the farce that is VAR, is the game going the wrong way in terms of handing out penalties like confetti as a result of trying to engineer (and now compensate for engineering) the title race?

FWIW, I've got absolutely no problems with Mahrez going down tonight, or Salah or Mane or anyone else, it's the referees' fault for giving fouls out any time a player goes down whereas blatant fouls that do impede players but the player stays on his feet like Traore on Mendy aren't given.

They are in shit street with the application of VARce and modifying the laws of the game when players start some of the play acting we have seen over the last ten or a dozen seasons. How many teams who have no bloody hope of footballing their way into a penalty area conspire to be fouled at any point from where a cross can be delivered to a 6ft 7in giant? How many sink to the ground with just the faintest of contacts? And the refs continue to be taken in by it! The game has reached farcical proportions even before VARce added its own comedic elements to the pantomime. The more VARce is used the more the LotG will be modified to accommodate, and then there is the notion that VARce can include further aspects to its repertoire!

Agree 100% @Dave Ewing's Back 'eader, I supported bringing in VAR to clamp down on players who were going down like fannies and to see less penalties given, but I was wrong and it's done the exact opposite and pretty much ruined the celebration of every goal scored. VAR, IFAB, and the general abuse of the game by referees has made me fall out of love with football. Even when we were in Div 2, I was in love with football but not anymore hence why I'm giving up my season-ticket.

Agree 100% @Dave Ewing's Back 'eader, I supported bringing in VAR to clamp down on players who were going down like fannies and to see less penalties given, but I was wrong and it's done the exact opposite and pretty much ruined the celebration of every goal scored. VAR, IFAB, and the general abuse of the game by referees has made me fall out of love with football. Even when we were in Div 2, I was in love with football but not anymore hence why I'm giving up my season-ticket.
I'll always love City, but my love for the game is lessening. Its being ruined by men in suits.

The inexplicable contradictions in the application of VAR is certainly matched by the tactical approach of all pundits to adopt any position that disadvantages us. Against United it was a pen so VAR was absolutely right to over rule the ref. Tonight - under no circumstances should the ref be over ruled!

Everyone is diving , acting better then actors . It's becoming a farce now and with VAR they get all the decisions

Looking at the penalty we got awarded tonight, which seemed an obvious attempt to compensate (now that the title's gone) for some of the farcical/corrupt decisions Liverpool have been awarded this season, it seems football is no longer a contact sport as a result of attempts to engineer the title race.

Like the Mane decision, the touch on Mahrez's foot didn't obstruct or impede him (and unless you're soft, obviously didn't hurt him) in the slightest but was still given. At every level from Sunday League to North West Counties and all the way up to about League 1, there would be a brawl if the referee had given a decision like that. Even a couple of seasons ago in the Premier League, that wouldn't be given as a penalty. And don't get me started on the handball rule.

So forgetting the farce that is VAR, is the game going the wrong way in terms of handing out penalties like confetti as a result of trying to engineer (and now compensate for engineering) the title race?

FWIW, I've got absolutely no problems with Mahrez going down tonight, or Salah or Mane or anyone else, it's the referees' fault for giving fouls out any time a player goes down whereas blatant fouls that do impede players but the player stays on his feet like Traore on Mendy aren't given.

One point in the first half a Wolves player handled the ball in or box....I found myself screaming at the telly for our lads to run away and let them score...we would have got a free kick...the game has gone mad or I have

Everyone is diving , acting better then actors . It's becoming a farce now and with VAR they get all the decisions
It's putting more pressure on the refs. The decisions are no better.

Wolves think they've been done. They haven't but no football fan trusts the system.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.