Biggest mistakes of the decade.

Upon consideration...

The biggest mistake of the decade absolutely has to be failure to back Mancini in the 2012-2013 season... at all.

At the start of the season, Mancini pleaded with management for big signings... at one point he made an important trip to Milan meeting with Thiago Silva and Ibrahiminovic, both players on the market and willing - and indeed did - transfer.

Instead of landing these marque players... we signed, at the last minute, and overpaying...

Javi Garcia
Matija Nastasic
Jack Rodwell
Soctt Sinclair
Maicon
Richard Wright

Mostly complete crap, though Nastasic did perform rather well in his first season for us.

Back Mancini, sign high caliber players, and we might well have won the 2012-2013 title.

Which is not to say that Mancini should have been our manager long term - his substitutions/tactics were frequently misjudged, and his man-management and lack of ability to get on with others - players, and management both - meant that a better manager was always going to be available.

Nonetheless.... the 2012-2013 treatment of Mancini is, I think our biggest missed opportunity of the decade.

>> I'm going for letting Tevez leave too early.
Love Tevez - but he made Mancini's position untenable. We had to let him go.

Bad signings?
Jo, and Bony spring to mind.

Missed opportunities?
Maybe we should have caved and bought VVD, out-bidding Liverpool. OTOH we can't seem to be seen as mugs, willing to spend anything at all to land players, otherwise we'd never be able to strike good deals.

£75m for VVD is looking like a pretty good deal

If we sign a cb this summer instead they'll still take 6 months to settle in, but it will affect next season and this.
The commentators all say that City should have signed a defender this Summer but they neglect to say who.

We know we tracked Maguire but having seen him destroyed at Arsenal, I'm glad that we didn't tie ourselves to him for 5 seasons.

It was probably the right thing to do nothing at the time but luck went against us with a major injury to Laporte. Having seen the promise of Garcia and Harwood-Bellis I think it is a realistic proposition to look to those two to support Stones and Laporte.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.