#27 | João Cancelo - 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pep Guardiola on the right-back position: “Kyle was playing so good in the last period - when one player plays good you have to wait. But when he [Cancelo] has played, he has played good. He has quality, and he made two or three assists...”

“In the end, the player has to decide if he wants to fight and stay with us. They decide. Everyone is free in this country to do what they want in their own lives. He was good tonight, it’s not easy to play against them but he was good." [via @ManCityMEN]

I don't think he's quite adapted yet, he made a few decisions that don't fit in with what the rest of the team are doing.

However there were plenty of positive signs in an overall impressive outing and it's becoming clearer what he's got in the locker. Much like with Mendy, if we give him time he'll grow into things superbly.

Sam Lee said that he was struggling a bit to adjust, not only to the league, but to play the fb role in a different manner every game. Very understandable imo. Today we saw him at his most comfortable and I thought he was fantastic
Almost everyone struggles to adapt to Pep, Cancelo seems ahead of schedule imo. He should have likely got more minutes by now to give Walker a rest but he is slowly getting into it.

Starting at the weekend I would presume.

Much more suited to wingback with a back 3, much like Mendy.

Still some really heavy touches and miscontolling the ball out of play, but some really slick passing, flicks, headers, and under lapping/overlapping with Mahrez - Particularly noticeable from behind the goal.

Think he's a bit of a soft bastard though. Feigns injury and rolls around far too much for my liking. And I'm sure he petulantly lashed out a couple of times last night.

That being said, if we stick with a back 3, which we should, that roll is his for the taking.

He’s class and next season if he can fight on to learn England and peps methods will be dynamite!!

Has shown the odd glimpse of what he can do going forward (although his refusal to run with the ball when he has 20 yards of space ahead of him baffles me), but he struggles with some basics of Premier League defending. I can't remember the last time I saw an attacker keep the ball in when a defender was trying to shield it out for a goal kick but both Cancelo and Mendy have been caught out in the last 3 games. At least Mendy was "fouled" by a man mountain, Cancelo was shrugged off it by the beanpole Calvert-Lewin. Couple that with how often he gives the ball away in our half and I don't think he's cut out for this league. Definitely not as part of a back 4 anyway.

I'm not yet convinced but I've been unconvinced by others their first season only to be shown a fool the next season. I'm disappointed as I was really excited when he joined but I'll be patient and judge next season.

I'm not yet convinced but I've been unconvinced by others their first season only to be shown a fool the next season. I'm disappointed as I was really excited when he joined but I'll be patient and judge next season.
He is playing inverted fullback and wingback. Has to learn 2 ways to play, combined with it being his first season I think he should get some lee way. Wish Pep would just make him learn one position at a time though but I can understand this approach from a teaching perspective as well, learn fast.

We look much better with him in the team playing in a 3-4-3, for the simple reason that he can stay wide and allow whomever is playing on the right of the front three to drop into space in the inside-right channel.

He also demands marking more than Walker because he’s much more dangerous with the ball at his feet.

I have a Feeling he is either quite lazy or shy.
Maybe he expects too much from himself because it's a Pep Team. Could be another wasted full-back. Stones of the Fullback position

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.