Var debate 2019/20

You still haven’t explained how we were consistent last season?

I’m sorry, but it just seems incredibly desperate at this point. I’ve tried to be open and objective in my posts, but it’s becoming clear that some of you won’t even take in anything that’s being said, which is unfortunate.

My fiancé’s uncle is a staunch City fan. He’s around 60 years old now, and I’ve managed to have many sensible discussions with him about City and Liverpool over the past 4 years. Over the Christmas holidays, he was as magnanimous as you could possibly be and admitted that Liverpool are just too good this season and jokingly said City will take the crown back next season, so he’s not bothered. I’ve asked him about all this conspiracy/cheating stuff and he just laughed it off and said that’s what happens when you’re winning and that it is a load of nonsense.

Your 'fiancées' (correct spelling unless you're marrying another fella) uncle is @franksinatra and I claim my £5

Good post bud and respectful - couple points, hate to agree with Copper .. that was a foul on Mahrez and correct to award a penalty but had this been for another team then many would shout corruption as how easy he went down.

secondly, agree with the official laws for handball and offside - i get they made them for simplicity but it's made it worse and more fans angry, they will correct this for next season - VAR is new, it has to be trial and error and laws of the game has always changed - if they changed the laws on accidental handballs and adjusted the offside law so that an armpit doesn't count as offside, then VAR would be far less controversial
I think if they sort out the offside and handball laws next season then things with VAR will settle down somewhat, it should only need to be used very rarely in games to be honest. It's only really needed for sorting out dives and for incidents that the referee has missed.
However, the referees need to be stronger and apply the laws of the game equally to all teams and that would stop a lot of the problems with it. As I've said to you before, Liverpool had so many offside goals last season because they're given the benefit of the doubt 90% of the time when for most other teams it's about 50% of the time as you'd expect. The media have to take some responsibility for this, there's no need to make a fractionally offside goal or an arguable referee decision a week long yellow ticker drama depending on which team it goes for or against. This is especially true when the coverage depends on who the pundit used to play for, just have good equal educational unbiased coverage for all teams and don't just pander to the teams with the most followers. The press shouldn't have as much control as they do over the way that games are governed. Obviously this is easier said than done, after all when was the last time a pundit said anything about a game when you thought 'I hadn't thought of that, I've learnt something new there', Souness is probably the last pundit who said anything worth listening to. This is probably wishful thinking living in the clickbait, 'have your say' media circus we have now though. Controversy means money for the press after all and they have 24 hour news channels they need to fill.
VAR this season is a complete farce but I find it difficult to blame VAR itself for that, I blame the weak referees and the self involved and inept PGMOL. Blaming VAR would be like blaming the referees whistle for a poor decision, it's just a tool at the end of the day being operated by what increasingly seems like a bunch of tools!

Just a side note - has anyone seen a VAR picture of Liverpool's second goal against us yet, does one exist?
They put out a statement during the game to say it had been done,it was as tight as all the others being checked but there was no var check shown on tv and they still can't produce it,they flat out lied,proof if anyone still needs it,it still grinds my gears

Referees have been told to start using pitchside monitors in Premier League matches from this weekend when the VAR wants to change a decision on a red card. [@martynziegler]

Taking the piss now,look we are using the monitors for something that hardly happens

Referees have been told to start using pitchside monitors in Premier League matches from this weekend when the VAR wants to change a decision on a red card. [@martynziegler]

Taking the piss now,look we are using the monitors for something that hardly happens

In theory this is a small change but in practice it's quite a big one because it gets rid of the accountability void.

At the moment theres a gap where no one can work out if it's the referee or the VAR who have fucked up and that lets them slide on things.

When the monitors get involved the referees are 100% to blame for any mistake and theres no grey area about what the VAR can overrule.

It's a really big change.

In theory this is a small change but in practice it's quite a big one because it gets rid of the accountability void.

At the moment theres a gap where no one can work out if it's the referee or the VAR who have fucked up and that lets them slide on things.

When the monitors get involved the referees are 100% to blame for any mistake and theres no grey area about what the VAR can overrule.

Especially if it brings about pressure from clubs for it to be used for many more offences .

Presumably a response to IFAB telling them to get their house in order over the VAR protocol which Riley's ignored.

My first reaction is that I agree - it puts it on one person, and I'm sure people will try to keep an eye on the images that are shown.

Could certainly be the first crack in the dam.

W

When var wants to change it is the key part,they don't want them using the monitors really so the ref can just tap his ear and shrug like Oliver does when he refs us and there is no come back just like now

Given they used us as the lab rats to show off their shiny new toy at the start of the season i think the one time it's used it will be on us,it won't be used on the likes of Robertson

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.