All inc hols

I just don't get why you'd pay a shitload of money to go abroad on holiday only to feel as though you've got to eat & drink in the hotel/resort you're staying at as you've already paid for it.
Then you’re not looking at the right resorts.

As for “destroying the local infrastructure”, that guys obviously never been by flying boat to one of the Maldives. His loss. Wife and I went to the Ozen two years ago, the Island IS the local infrastructure. Wonderful holiday.

https://www.virginholidays.co.uk/de...ozen-by-atmosphere-at-maadhoo-maldives-browse

Then you’re not looking at the right resorts.

As for “destroying the local infrastructure”, that guys obviously never been by flying boat to one of the Maldives. His loss. Wife and I went to the Ozen two years ago, the Island IS the local infrastructure. Wonderful holiday.

https://www.virginholidays.co.uk/de...ozen-by-atmosphere-at-maadhoo-maldives-browse

Love the Maldives and have been a few times but years ago now. I was surprised to see a swimming pool on that resort as none of the islands we visited had one. The water is so beautiful that it hardly seems necessary. The resorts seem a great deal more luxurious than they did back then, when they were very basic (which added to the appeal for me).

I'd love to go back one day and try one of the luxury ones but probably won't happen as my wife doesn't like sun and sea.

It’s not about adapting for local restaurants. If people go AI and never leave the hotel to spend a night in a bar or restaurant what can they do? A place I go to in Menorca has been decimated by AI. It’s only a small place but the bars are being kept alive by locals. Lots of restaurants have gone.

Each to their own, and people will have their reasons, but for me exploring and looking for a nice place to eat is part of the holiday.

We do go out and eat. Today we are going to Coral bay and tomorrow are venturing on a TUI trip to the Turkish side. Last night we went into town for the football. Escalate the debate further and you could surmise full board half board and b and b take margins from the locals and let's not even mention those dreadfull self caterers. At the end of the day it's all about choice and whatever rocks your world. Happy holidays.

Last edited:
Love the Maldives and have been a few times but years ago now. I was surprised to see a swimming pool on that resort as none of the islands we visited had one. The water is so beautiful that it hardly seems necessary. The resorts seem a great deal more luxurious than they did back then, when they were very basic (which added to the appeal for me).

I'd love to go back one day and try one of the luxury ones but probably won't happen as my wife doesn't like sun and sea.
My wife freaks out about sharks every now and again. One day she will be fine, the next she won’t go past her ankles. She’s a bit mental like that, so we always pick places that have the option of a pool as well. (She’s a South African from a surfing town - Jeffrey’s Bay - and when we were at our place there in December there was a shark attack so it’s not a totally crazy phobia).

My wife freaks out about sharks every now and again. One day she will be fine, the next she won’t go past her ankles. She’s a bit mental like that, so we always pick places that have the option of a pool as well. (She’s a South African from a surfing town - Jeffrey’s Bay - and when we were at our place there in December there was a shark attack so it’s not a totally crazy phobia).

Tsunamis and not wishing for her skin to be darker is what keeps my wife from such holidays. It's a shame really.

We do go out and eat. Today we are going to Coral bay and tomorrow are venturing on a TUI trip to the Turkish side. Last night we went into town for the football. Escalate the debate further and you could surmise full board half board and b and b take margins from the locals and let's not even mention those dreadfull self caterers. At the end of the day it's all about choice and whatever rocks your world. Happy holidays.
Word of warning, Coral Bay was 'shut' this time last year when we were in the area.... there's a nice bar near there on the strip which rescued the bus ride out there, kikko's bar, randomly it had a Robbie Fowler City shirt on the wall.

Did one in Mexico, and one in the Maldives. Chalk and cheese in comparison.

Mexico was 'ok' to a degree. Superb pools, drinks were also 'ok'. Food ... the basic canteen restaurant food was average, but there were several 'premium' restaurants to choose from to, where you had to pay a supplement to eat, which were as you would expect much better. The downside of that was they had 'standards', in which men could not wear shorts (not just swim shorts, but any) nor sandals, again wouldn't expect to rock up in flip flops, but not even smart ones. Bit of a sod in such heat.
But the main downside was the amount of American college boys on holiday there ..... make Brits on the piss in Benidorm seem quiet and reserved.
Went into Puerto del Carmen a couple of nights just for a change. Trip to Chichen Itza was the best part of the trip.

Maldives was superb all round. But pricier upfront of course. Would return in a heartbeat, but generally we prefer at most B&B on hols and enjoy the local bars and restaurants.

Wouldnt bother doing one in europe as we tend to have smaller resorts and its buffet etc but went to Mexico for two weeks and the complex was massive about 8 restaurants all a la carte, different bars to choose from different pools etc, just completely different scale.

Turkish resorts near Antalya can be outstanding, Club Med in Palmiye was very memorable

It's beyond very popular though Dennis and if you give folk what they want they will return for more. The A.I hotels afford massive employment to local people and engage in trade with local suppliers so it's not all doom and gloom. Market forces dictate the anti so they have to adapt to competion by offering better value/service to the holiday maker or face the consequences..No free rides in business and a dog eat dog mentality as per the Amazon model and sadly a survival of the fittest.

better value and service?

everyone agree AI meals tend to be a euro bore fest of international nothingness.

your last sentence sums it up and if that’s the world you want to live in you are welcome.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.