Greatest Atmosphere ever at Maine Road

Derbies at Maine Road were epic but a really fantastic atmosphere for me was the League Cup replay at Maine Rd against Coventry 16/1/1974 ..It was during the 3 day week oil crisis and was played in pouring rain on a weekday afternoon because the flood lights couldn't be used. 25000 huddled together City won 4-2 agg.
Me too, remember that one. Franny Lee covered in mud!

1971 European Cup Winners Cup .... think it was semi-final (could have been quarters) against Schalke IV

1-0 down from first away leg ... the place was rock as scored 5

.... and we have no history

1971 European Cup Winners Cup .... think it was semi-final (could have been quarters) against Schalke IV

1-0 down from first away leg ... the place was rock as scored 5

.... and we have no history
Have watched that footage u tube.the whole ground was Electric.good shout.

November 1969 City 4 United 0 63,000 great atmosphere,
And 1981 FA Cup replay against Everton 3-1 to City Bobby Mac not Manc was awesome that night the ground was bouncing.

The game I imagine is v Everton in the quarter final replay in ‘81.

Unbeknown to me, dad had bought two tickets in order for him to take me to the game, but my mum was called into school the day before about my disruptive, attention-seeking behaviour (yes, I know) and they withdrew the ticket and then told me about the entire process, which I thought was cruel and unusual punishment and never served to restrain me. Quite the opposite. Devastated, although tbf to dad he took me to the final against Spurs (not the replay) and even went as far as cheering for City.

I remember hearing of people training on Peal Moat in Heaton Moor that evening saying they could hear the crowd at Maine Road that night. Much less urban background noise back then tbf.

Last edited:
Derbies at Maine Road were epic but a really fantastic atmosphere for me was the League Cup replay at Maine Rd against Coventry 16/1/1974 ..It was during the 3 day week oil crisis and was played in pouring rain on a weekday afternoon because the flood lights couldn't be used. 25000 huddled together City won 4-2 agg.
This is one of my favourite games .....great atmosphere for a 25000 crowd on a Wed afternoon, will always live in my City memories

While we're on abt how shite the atmosphere is atm, thought I'd take a trip down memory lane, Folk always seem to think Maine road was bouncing all the time, which we know was bollocks.

But which ones stood out for you.

Rags 5-1 was just fuckin unbelievable, 3-1 too
Taylor scoring the winner v Birmingham in 2000 or 2001
The Charlton game also

There's many more but those are just several that were fantastic.

For me it was Colin Bells comeback and the 5-1 against Charlton.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.