Greatest Atmosphere ever at Maine Road

The derby where the red and white scarf was set alight and thrown over the metal roof struts in the Kippax - (evil atmosphere that night) am sure we won 3-1?
The Juventus game
The Charlton game
But it has to be Colin the Kings come back - I was in my early teens and I recall my Dad wiping his eyes (it wasn't hayfever either) - raw emotion only ever felt thereafter with the sheer relief of the Aguero 93.20 when me Dad (God rest him) was with me (us) and my daughter that day in here first full season watching the blues!
Funny isn't it how we miss such a (and lets be honest) mishmash of a ground?
Oh the memories! Now I will have to dig out all my old programmes!

This question comes up very regularly. There are many threads on it.

Of course “greatest” is subjective.

For anyone who was there it was probably City 5 Charlton 1 to get promoted. If you went and you were in the Kippax you know, particularly the section next to where the away fans were meant to be. If you were there and don’t talk about it your mind has chosen to forget. If you weren’t there you can’t imagine how different it was that day and I don’t mean that in an arrogant way. I sometimes wonder myself if I dreamt the whole thing.

If you don’t believe it look it up on YouTube. How many people in the Kippax? Tell me what you think.

Having said that greatest would also mean terrifying. I couldn’t breathe for about a minute but it felt like five. I could feel myself starting to go through the pressure of bodies on top of me after one of the goals. The bodies on top of me cleared and I got some air then City scored again and I was back to square 1. People I was stood next to popped up 30 metres away.

I thought it was fun at the time but now I look back...Jesus it was dangerous and very very noisy. Beautiful sunny day too.

I don’t know if there was anything like that before...maybe decades ago...but there has definitely been nothing like it since and I mean nowhere near and there never will be now. If someone had died then nobody would talk about it as great but they didn’t so it was kind of special. Who went to the game before in Nottingham?! I was a student there then...crazy day that was!

So it depends on your definition. The happiest will always be 93.20.

Last edited:
First 10 minutes against Spurs in that FA Cup quarter-final were pretty good. Few games stand out for me well enough that I can remember them. That day sticks in my mind.

Beating Forest in 79 Denya getting the winner. Forest were champions and unbeaten in like 30 odd games.
Liverpool in 86? Won 1-0 Clive Wilson and we stopped Liverpool having their regular 4 / 5 - 0 thrashing over us. Dalgliesh came on as a sub with 15 to go and they kept hitting the bar or Nixon pulling off a save. Fans begging the ref to blow.... Amazing cheers at the end....
I remember the Forest game well. We were superb especially Deyna and the goal he scored was sensational. He was a wonderful player and sadly missed.

It was a pretty special atmosphere when we beat Newcastle at home on a sunny April day (2004 I think). Wanchope with the winner.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.